Phillip also designed a cable version of this project that is available on his site.
Ultra-small vusbtiny AVR programmer – [Link]
After a long beta testing period Microchip finally released MPLAB X V1.0.
MPLAB X is the new integrated development system for Microchip microcontrollers. It is built on the Java platform so Mac, Linux, and Windows users are supported. Here are some major features of MPLAB X:
- Based on Java / Netbeans.
- Supported under Windows, Linux and Mac OS X 10.5 and Mac OS X 10.6.
- Newer, more functional GUI.
- MPLAB C32 (for PIC32MX), C30 (for PIC24 and dsPIC), C18 compilers are available.
- HI-TECH C Lite Compiler for PIC18s, and HI-TECH C Lite Compiler for PIC10/12/16 are also available.
MPLAB X v1.0 released – [Link]
Phil made a DIY breakout board for the PIC16F883 microcontroller. The board uses a surface-mount single-layer design, and the parts are nicely spaced. It’s an easy board to make at home using the DIY toner-transfer method of PCB etching. You can download the source files and other design data from his site.
DIY PIC16F883 breakout board – [Link]
It’s been a busy year for element14 and the online social community for engineers is ending 2011 on a high note with the launch of element14 TV, the industry’s first online television channel designed for electronics engineers and tech enthusiasts.
The new dedicated channel offers instant access to an expansive range of information-rich content in one, easy-to-search destination. Anchored by The Ben Heck Show, a leading online TV tech series, this “YouTube for engineers” offers a programming line-up spanning electronics how-tos, Arduino tutorials, user-generated videos, informational videos from leading electronics component and subsystem providers, and the latest in technology and product overviews.
If your schedule permits, we’d love to get you on the phone with Diane Kibbey – global head of the community – to talk about the new channel, the growth of the community over the past year and exciting plans for video down the road.
element14 launches “YouTube for engineers” – [Link]
On this week’s episode of element14’s “The Ben Heck Show,” modding guru Ben Heck creates an accessible controller for a student living with Pompe disease, a neuromuscular disorder causing muscle weakness. Check out the heart-warming episode at element14 when you have the chance!
For this build, Ben mods a breakout box with eight input switches to act as the interpretation layer between the Xbox 360™ controller and simplified controls, allowing 13-year-old Patrick Crowley to play video games requiring complex button sequences, such as X-Men Origins: Wolverine™.
The Crowley family’s dedication to developing a cure and raising awareness for the disease inspired Ben and element14 to get involved! Their story has also been captured in their memoir Chasing Miracles and dramatized in the 2010 motion picture, Extraordinary Measures.
Ben Heck creates accessible controller mod for 13-year-old boy with Pompe disease – [Link]
The Ether IO24 PIC R is an integrated, micro-controller based network interface board with 24 digital user I/O lines and is the next generation of our Ether IO24 Range
The module connects to any Ethernet network supporting the TCP/IP protocol suite and can communicate with any point on that network. By connection with an Internet Router the device can communicate with any Internet connected device
- Home or Industrial Automation
- Digital Input and Output from any Networked PC
- Remote Data Acquisition and/or Alarm Monitoring by Network or Internet
- PC Controlled Machines and Distributed Machine I/O
- Remote Lighting / Power control and/or monitoring
Ether IO24 PIC R – Ethernet Interface Board with 24 Channels – [Link]
The Texas Instruments bq28550 battery gas gauge provides current and voltage protection, and secure, SHA-1/HMAC authentication for single-cell Li-Ion battery packs. Designed for battery-pack integration, the bq28550 requires host microcontroller firmware support for implementation. A system processor communicates with the bq28550 using one of the serial interface configurations to obtain remaining battery capacity, system run-time predictions, and other critical battery information.
The bq28550 uses an accurate gas gauging algorithm to report the status of the cell. The gauge provides information such as state-of-charge (%), run-time to empty (min.), charge-time to full (min.), battery voltage (V), and pack temperature (°C).
Single Cell Li-Ion Battery Gas Gauge and Protection – [Link]
ARM and Globalfoundries on Wednesday demonstrated a special test chip based on two ARM Cortex-A9 general-purpose cores operating at whopping 2.50GHz, which is a record clock-speed for ARM. The system-on-chip was made using 28nm HPP [high-performance plus] fabrication process.
In a bid to verify high-performance system-on-chip designs and their elements, ARM and Globalfoundries developed special TQV (technology qualification vehicles) that use Artisan advanced physical IP which is widely used by many developers. Each TQV is designed to emulate a full specification SoC and aims to improve performance, lower power consumption and facilitate a faster path to market for foundry customers. The dual-core Cortex-A9 TQV SoC operating at 2.50GHz is an industry record and a clear demonstration of 28 HPP fabrication process’ capabilities.
Dual-Core ARM Chip Operating at 2.5GHz – [Link]
For valuable work on creation of sites you need a good comfortable editor necessarily. There are many requiring paid products for this purpose, but we would like to select free of charge very functional and at the same time of simple in the use editor – Codelobster PHP Edition
Let us consider some important possibilities and advantages of this program:
- HTML/CSS inspector on the type of Firebug, which allows easily to correlate the selected elements of page with a code and proper style.
- Context help on all supported languages. By pressing F1 key the page with detailed description for current tag, attribute or function will be opened.
- PHP debugger. PHP debugger allows to execute PHP scripts incrementally, watching the values of all variables in every line.
- SQL manager allows to produce all necessary actions with a database – to add, delete, edit a structure and records in tables, to export data, execute SQL queries. Highlighting and autocompletion works for SQL files also.
- Support of FTP allows to work straight with a remote server and to do all necessary changes with files;
- The portable option allows to use editor without the preliminary installation.
- Other useful utilities: pair highlighting, possibility of blocks selection, collapsing, tooltips, navigation on descriptions of functions and included files at withholding of the key of CTRL, viewing of structure of files and project, preview in a browser, book-marks, and all other standard possibilities for work with a code.
Also there are special plugins for work with:
- CMS: Drupal, Joomla
- PHP frameworks: CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Symfony
- WordPress blogging engine
- Smarty template engine
openPICUS: new website, IDE 2.1 and a programmer guide
openPICUS, which connects the embedded world to the internet providing modular hardware and free software, is ready to announce that the new website is online (http://www.openpicus.com). We have a dedicated section exclusively to the Community which is part of the new Forum (http://community.openpicus.com/net/join). The site is more clean and the navigation is now more easy. Click, take a look and let us know what you think about it.
We have the new IDE 2.1! The main updates are:
- Energy saving functions: you can turn off the Flyport or just the Wi-Fi transceiver (Hibernation)
- Improved IOInit() function to easily remap all the peripheral pins
- Simplified management of the external interrupts with a simple instruction
- From Wizard it is now possible to modify the number of serial ports and their buffers size
- From Wizard it is also possible to select the number of UDP sockets and related buffers size
- Pushbuttons debounce function improved
- On code editor improved Autocomplete and Tooltips added for each function
- Added a timestamp at the end of compiling process
- Visualization of Ram status at the end of compiling.
- It is possible to add HTML documentation to each project
- Framework global performance improved
- Full compatibility with each C30 version >3.24
- Various minor bugs fixed
Download the new IDE 2.1: http://www.openpicus.com/site/get-started/downloads
And the last but not the least: the programming guide which explains the software embedded inside the Flyport and how it works. More than 60 pages with explanations and examples.
Download the Programmer Guide: http://www.openpicus.com/site/get-started/downloads
openPICUS is Internet freedom for your things, control and communication for electronic devices. A standalone hardware and software platform for embedded applications to interact via web, email or messages with simple sensors or complex electronic equipment.
For more information, please visit www.openpicus.com
openPICUS: new website, IDE 2.1 and a programmer guide – [Link]