As you may already know, we have been producing SCANALOGIC-2 Logic analyzer in big quantities for the latest 15 months. This have been our first major product, and over the time we have learned how to (or built ways to) automate most productions steps. Programming the atmega chips (which controls the SCANALOGIC-2) can take a lot of time. Specially if you have to do it 500 times. Of course, one solution is to buy pre-programmed chips, but this is not always financially interesting.
So to cope with this situation, I developed a small VB.Net program that will automate the programming steps, that is:
- Erasing the device
- Programming the fuse bits
- Burning the HEX file into the device’s flash
- Building an EEPROM file with a specific serial number for each device
- Burning the EEPROM file into the device’s eeprom
- Programming the lock bits and verifying that both the Flash & the EEPROM are securely locked.
Automating ATmega chips programming - [Link]