I have just received the µOLED-32028-P1T OLED module from 4D Systems and my first impression is that this is a really awesome display! It is a QVGA (240×320 pixel) 2,83″ Active Matrix OLED (AMOLED) display module with resistive touch screen. Display is controlled by embedded PICASO-GFX graphics controller using applications written in 4D Graphics Language (4DGL) . As you understand we are talking about a “SMART” display that hosts the user application on board (so you don’t need an external MCU) with many additional features that make this module ideal for integrating into a variety of different applications.
The first thing i noticed when i took the display in my hand is the quality of construction, materials used and compact design. 4D Systems has done great jod designing this module but the most great feature is that you can use 4DGL language to write applications on the free available 4DGL Workshop IDE, complile them and download them to your OLED molude for execution. All you need is a “USB to Serial converter module” such as µUSB-MB5 or the µUSB-CE5 to connect your module with PC and transfer the application.
There is also a uSD memory card slot on the back of the module where you can store graphics and call them on your application. Some words about 4DGL:
4DGL is a graphics oriented programming language, allowing the developer to write applications in a high level syntax similar to popular languages such as BASIC, C and Pascal and run it directly on the PICASO-GFX processor embedded in the μOLED-3202X-P1 modules.
4DGL allows the user to take complete control of all available resources on that hardware platform such as the Serial Port, Graphics AMOLED Display, μSD memory card, I/O pins, etc. This eliminates the need for an external host controller/processor to drive the μOLED-3202X-P1 modules via serial commands. It provides the user complete control over the hardware module allowing them to quickly develop powerful applications
Main features of the µOLED-320xx-P1 series are:
- QVGA 240xRGBx320 pixel resolution
- 256, 65K or 262K true to life colours
- Enhanced AMOLED screen
- Near 180 degree viewing angle
- All modules use the same controller board (size 49.1 x 67.3 x 11.0 mm)
- 5 pin serial user interface (VCC, TX, RX, GND, RESET) which can be easily converted to USB using any 4D micro-USB module such as µUSB-MB5 or the µUSB-CE5
- Voltage supply from 4.5V to 5.5V, current @ 90mA nominal when using a 5.0V supply source
- Powered by the fully integrated PICASO-GFX Graphics Processor
- Onboard micro-SD (µSD) memory card adaptor with full FAT16 file support for storing and executing 4DGL programs, files, icons, images, animations, video clips and audio wave files (memory card not included)
- Built in extensive 4DGL graphics and system library functions. For all available features and functions under the 4DGL programming language please visit the 4DGL web page
- 2 x 30 pin headers for I/O expansion and future plug-in daughter boards
- Audio amplifier with a tiny 8-Ohms speaker for sound generation and wave file playback
- Mechanical support via mounting tabs which can be snapped off
uOLED-32028-P1T – 2.83″ Active Matrix OLED Module with Touch Screen – [Link]