Embedded modules may surprise you by their contribution and an overall costs savings.
As we know „embedded module“ is a quite wide term and it can represent a powerful microcomputer with OS, but it can also be a significantly simpler module with a microcontroller and peripherals, still able to add considerable functionality to a target device.
Typical representatives of useful modules, which add a lot – without big costs are so called quick start modules from company Embedded Artists. Their contribution is in a ready-made „tuned up“ PCB containing for example in case of module LPC4088 QuickStart Board (EA-QSB-016) the microcontroller itself (Cortex- M4), memory, display controller and many interfaces like Ethernet, USB, UART, SPI, CAN, PWM, Analog In/Out, I2C, XBee compatible connector and other.
Especially at low and mid-volume production batches their contribution is mainly in the fact, that it is a really proven solution with a guaranteed operating temperatures range, proper ESD protection and mainly – supported by a wide scale of development tools (free). In case of solving of problems, it´s still possible to contact customer support of company and a lot of hints for successful usage, source codes and libraries can be found directly on the producer´s website.
Try to go easier way - [Link]
New 200mm fans EBM-Papst will cool down your devices while not making a lot of noise.
Maybe you already belong to users of top-level fans from EBM-Papst. This time we bring you another hint for well-proven types – considerably powerful with a 200mm diameter. The types are:
● A2E200-AH38-01 – 9 blade fan with sickle-shaped steel blades, driven by a powerful motor M2E-068 BF with power of 64W/ 230V/ 50Hz. Maintenance-free ball bearings and a thermal protection contribute to a long lifetime of the fan. The motor requires to connect an external capacitor 1.5uF/400V. The fan is suitable for a continuous operation (S1) and it can be mounted in any position.
● W2E200-HK38-01 – 7 blade fan with a full round nozzle from an aluminium alloy and with same motor unit as above-mentioned type. The fan features a very easy installation – mechanically and also electrically, as it also contains a capacitor (1.5uF) assembled to a body of the fan. The fan is suitable for a continuous operation (S1) and it can be mounted in any position.
Naturally, these fans are universally usable not only for cooling of electric devices, but also in air conditioning (HVAC) and in food industry.
How do you cool in these hot days? - [Link]
Whether it´s necessary to operate a device in gloves, or you only wish the given push-button was sufficiently big and well visible, new series of round and square caps for series Multimec 5G will solve it.
Well known Dutch producer of top quality switches – company MEC, comes with novelties in a form of relatively big caps for a universal series of push buttons Multimec 5G (lifetime of 10 million cycles).
Series 5G is exceptional by the fact, that it can by equipped by a huge amount of caps of various sizes, shapes and colors. In result, you might even not say, that beneath so different push-buttons” (caps), still the same push-button switch is used.
The latest addition to the family of caps for the 5G push buttons is:
● 10R/10RF/10RM – round 30mm caps. 10R has a slightly curved surface, 10RF has a flat surface and sharp edges, and the 10RM has a metal plate with an illuminated legend.
● 10Q/10QM – square 22mm caps. 10Q has a flat surface, 10QM has a metal plate with a illuminated legend.
Multimec 5G push-buttons operate with these caps reliably – independently on the place of pressing the button (in the middle/ on the edge). Both series have optional accessory – sealing enabling to reach IP67 and a plastic spacer. Need for a spacer depends on the front panel thickness (into which a push-button is built-in) and on the overall design of a device. Overall building height is only 11mm and they´re intended to be placed in almost one level with a front panel, resulting in a very elegant look.
Homogenous illumination (backlight) of these big caps can be easily reached by means of 4 small LEDs placed on a PCB around a push-button. This also gives a possibility to freely use various LED according to your choice and to use their color combinations – for example for indication of a device status. As a standard, 7 solid colors are available and 1 transparent “frost ice” white for illumination.
Recently, we also added many other caps and push buttons from company MEC into our offer. All new additions can be found below this article.
New MEC switches can be seen even from afar - [Link]
In our portfolio can be found quality knobs from company Cliff suitable for a wide range of potentiometers and encoders.
A device with excellent specification, quality components used, …., but a one step is still missing to reach a great overall impression – it is to use a quality and aesthetic control components.
Probably you´ll agree, that knobs for potentiometers and encoders belong to a “group of critical components”, determining a resulting look of a device. Company Cliff specializes on development and production of these components already from 1977 and considerable experience are reflected in a precise construction and a wide portfolio of components produced.
● K87MAR – plastic two-color knob with a colored top part and a side line. Available in 8 standard color versions. Thanks to a big popularity and a mass production, their price is very affordable. User friendly, soft – “rubber-feel” surface. Excellent for color coding of potentiometers groups in equipment with many knobs. 6mm „D“ shaft.
● K87MBR – plastic two-color knob, very similar to series K87MAR, but only a side line is in color. Affordable price and a mild “rubber-feel” surface. 6mm splined shaft or 6 mm “D” shaft.
● K18 – universal plastic knob for electronic encoders. Available in 5 colors and 3 weight categories. In our stock can be found 2 heavier versions (35 and 50g) in a grey and black color.
● KMK – universal aluminium knob with a machined aluminium shell and a molded plastic inner. Available in a black or natural anodized surface. Push-on installation. In our stock can be found 4 versions with a 25 mm diameter – KMK25 in a black and silver (natural) color, with a 6mm splined as well as “D” shaft.
Types for splined arbors have 3 relatively robust juts (as visible on a Picture), that´s why they´re suitable only for potentiometers with deeper splines, or with a lower splin count. From our offer they´re suitable for example for Taiwan-Alpha potentiometers and they´re not suitable for potentiometers Piher series PC16.
Cliff knobs – a pleasure to touch - [Link]
Perhaps the most frequently used rechargeable batteries on the market nowadays – Lithium-Polymer (Li-Po) can be found also in our offer.
From the beginning of electronics, the world searches for an “ideal” rechargeable battery. So far such a battery doesn´t exist (maybe supercapacitors in the future), but Li-Po (Li-Pol) cells are quite near to an ideal in some aspects.
Very low self-discharge (approx. 5% / month), high voltage of a cell (3,7-3,8V average), high energy density and a low weight, considerably stable discharge voltage and a possibility to recharge anytime are one of the main advantages of Li-Po cells. Another benefits are advantageous flat shape, high variability in dimensions and a long lifetime. No wonder, that Li-Po cells have become no. 1 in consumer electronics, hand tools and in many industrial devices.
Perhaps the only drawback of these cells is their lower chemical stability at overcharging (in a corner case ending up with a fire). But that´s the case which is practically eliminated at a common operation with a suitable charging circuit (chip or a charger intended for Li-Po).
Basic principle at usage is not to exceed approx. 4.25V charging voltage and the battery is almost discharged at a voltage below approx. 3.0V (2.75V). On the very end of a discharge cycle, the inner resistance slightly increases, what can cause a slight heating of a battery at higher currents – it is a normal behavior. Charging is usually based on a method constant voltage/ limited current. In principle it´s possible to use the same chargers and charging circuits for Li-Ion as well as Li-Po cells.
At a usual usage and discharging to say 20-80%, Li-Po cells will reward you by a reliable operation and a long lifetime. Flat shape is ideal for various handheld equipment, as well for usage in flat enclosures. In respect to a low self-discharge it´s possible to use Li-Po cells even as a backup energy source.
In our offer can be found several several Li-Po types from company EEMB with a capacity of 130 mAh to 2000 mAh. Exact list of available types and datasheets can be found below this article. Upon request, we´re able to provide you also many other types.
Try the most favorite type of batteries - [Link]
High efficiency, low standby power consumption and a power reserve, all this can be gained with a new adapter from our portfolio.
Minwa NR120P150PGS/E+ is in fact an “ordinary“ adapter with a fixed output voltage 12VDC/1500 mA. But it´s worth to mention, that it meets everything, what we usually require from a modern mains adapter:
- modern design (SMPS)
- high efficiency
- low standby power consumption (<0.3W)
- meets all latest regulations – EuP2, ErP,…
And finally a bonus – outstanding price. Adapters from company Minwa are in general always price-affordable, but here it is even more obvious. When we compare a one level weaker adapter NK120P100PGS/E+ (12V/1000 mA) with NR120P150PGS/E+ we´ll find, that for the price higher +14% (already at purchase of one piece) we´ll gain +50% power. So if you have a device requiring up to 1.5A current, or you use a 1A adapter at almost 100% and you want to gain some power reserve and probably a longer lifetime of an adapter, you can do so with minimum expenses.
Plus 50% of power for a scant one Euro? - [Link]
Desoldering braid makes an invaluable service at development or rework.
Everyone who´s ever tried to suck off a solder from a solder pad by means of a solder absorbing braid (wick) will probably confirm, that this tool belongs to a “must have” equipment of every professional or amateur workplace. What´s the charm of a desoldering braid? Above all in the fact, that it´s able to absorb almost all the solder from a given place, thus the most of components can be loosened very easily. Hand (pneumatic) pump surely has its place, mainly when working with bigger components, but at comparison with a desoldering braid it´s similar like if we compared a broom with a vacuum cleaner.
A quality desoldering braid is usually able to absorb a solder so thoroughly, that only a microscopic layer of a solder will remain on a PCB – as if a board was new, unused. It is very advantageous even at a hand rework of SMT components, because it´s desirable the component to lay directly on a board – not askew in a thick solder layer causing a mechanical tension and able to cause even a malfunction of a component (often at SMT capacitors).
To reach a good functionality of a desoldering wick it should be made of a fine gauge copper wires (without oil residues end similar) and it must be treated with a high quality flux. The cheapest braids usually contain only a rosin-based flux, the better ones have a synthetic flux based, which produce less fumes.
A novelty in our portfolio is the novelty from company CRC Industries – braid SOLDABSORB. We keep Soldabsorb in a width of 1.5 and 2.5mm, packed in a blister in 2 pcs (the price is for 2 pcs). Soldabsorb represents a top-level in this segment and is made of a highly pure copper, fine gauge wires and contains a synthetic NO-CLEAN flux. It means, that the flux residues are non-conductive and non-corrosive and they can be left on a PCB. Very fine wires contribute to a high wicking (absorbing) ability.
The usage of the wick is very simple and is based in 4 steps:
● Place the Soldabsorb wick on the solder joint
● place the tip of the solder iron on the wick and hold shortly
● absorbed solder will change a color of a braid, showing that the process was successful
● when a joint contains a big amount of solder, it may be necessary to cut off a used end of a braid (2-5mm) and repeat the process
In praxis it approves well to adjust temperature of a soldering iron to a slightly higher, than we´d normally need for a given pad and eventually also to use a thicker soldering tip. In especially difficult cases (vias at ground planes of a PCB) it helps to put a small amount of a new solder on a soldering tip, which will decrease an absorbing ability of a braid, it will significantly improve a heat transfer from a tip through a braid to a PCB, thus improving and speeding up an absorption. Before another use of a braid, it´s sufficient to cut off only a very end of a braid (a few mm) fully sucked by a solder.
At the end it´s worth to mention, that after desoldering, it´s good to apply a small amount of solder on a soldering tip to protect it from oxidizing.
Detailed information will provide you the Soldabsorb datasheet.
Desolder professionally with NO-CLEAN flux wicks - [Link]
Miniature calibrated humidity and temperature sensor Sensirion SHTC1 is usable even in space – limited applications.
Really miniature dimensions and a low price are main benefits of new calibrated sensors SHTC1 from production of company Sensirion. If you ever tried well known sensors series SHT2x, probably you´ve been surprised by their small dimensions (3,2×3,2x2mm). However the new sensor SHTC1 shifts dimensions a level further, or better said – lower. The result is a DFN package with dimensions of only 2x2x0.75mm, what in praxis represents a package, which you may not notice at a cursory look at a populated PCB. That´s why the SHTC1 is primarily intended for mobile applications and everywhere, where a spared space and a minimal power consumption are beneficial.
Taking a low price in mind, the guaranteed accuracy of SHTC1 chip is relatively excellent, roughly on a level of SHT21. Typical accuracy of ±3% in a range of 20-80% RH and ±0.3°C is probably fully sufficient for majority of applications. 1.8 V supply voltage and ultra low power consumption below 1uJ/measurement are ideal for battery powered devices. SHTC1 supports I2C fast mode (0-400 kHz). This small package practically can´t be soldered by hand, but it is relatively easily possible by means of a solder paste and a hot-air soldering station.
Also the SHTC1 is produced by a well proven CMOSens technology, which proves its reliability and a long-term stability in industry. Similarly, the SHTC1 also isn´t only a “sensor” but a ready-made calibrated solution containing 2x sensor, low-noise amplifier, A/D interface, data processing unit with calibration data in a ROM and a communication interface. Detailed information can be found in the Sensirion SHTC1 datasheet and the Sensirion Humidity flyer.
We´ve got samples ready for you!
If you´re interested in trying this perspective sensor, take part in a contest below the article, or contact us on a well known address firstname.lastname@example.org.
SHTC1 we keep so far as an item upon order, but we´re able to supply it to you in a short leadtime and soon it will be a standard stock item.
SHTC1 – humidity and temperature from a pin head - [Link]
Flat displays of the EA DOG series are now available even with a bigger resolution or with more characters.
EADOG series is familiar to many of you and probably it´s your favorite one from these main reasons:
- displays are unusually flat (thin)
- the have a very low power consumption of 100-s uA (without backlight)
- wide possibilities of backlight, monochrome and also RGB
- some types are well legible even without backlight
- simple communication through 4/8 bit or SPI interface and newly even I2C
So far, types with up to 128x64px or 3×16 characters were available. The most recent additions to the EADOG family are bigger types with resolution of 160x104px (EADOGXL160), 240x64px (EADOGM240), 240x128px (EADOGXL240) and 4×20 characters (EADOGM204) and appropriate backlight modules EALED66x40, EALED94x40 and EALED94x67. Also these new types maintain a low profile – only 5.8 or 6.5mm with backlighting. A positivity is that even these new types are based on standard LCD controllers.
A guide at a choice of a suitable combination of display +backlight will provide you the application described in our article – Start with the EA DOG displays for free.
Detailed information will provide you the datasheets at particular types.
EA DOG displays with a minimal power consumption now available in bigger sizes - [Link]
Viewing angle around 160°-170° and an excellent contrast say in favor of character displays with OLED technology.
OLED technology (Organic LED) slowly but surely finds its place even in industrial devices. After a big success at mobile phones, where they convince by high contrast and an excellent viewing angle, this technology becomes price-affordable and technologically advanced even for industrial applications.Benefits in short:
- OLED means, that every pixel is principally one „planar“ LED, thus each pixel emits light (white, RGB or some color). That means, that OLED doesn´t have / doesn´t need backlight and it also helps to a high contrast, as there´s no problem with a light bleeding through “off” (black) pixels, as it is often at LCD displays. High contrast also ensures excellent legibility even at a strong daylight.
- wide viewing angle. As every pixel (point) is itself a light source, it shines in all directions (half-globe) and it provides an extreme viewing angle near to a theoretical maximum of 180°
- extremely wide operating temperatures range, frost doesn´t “slow down” display response time
- the same color from every viewing angle. This is vital at color (RGB) OLED displays and it means almost zero color shift at viewing from various viewing angles, so well-known from TFT LCD displays
- low power consumption, partially dependent on a display content (number of switched-on pixels and their intensity)
New character displays from company Winstar belong to advanced displays with declared features. In our stock can be found types for example WEH001602ABPP5N00000 (16×2, blue), WEH001602AWPP5N00000 (16×2, white), WEH002002ALPP5N00001 (20×2, yellow/orange – „amber“) and WEH002004ALPP5N00000 (20×4, yellow/orange – „amber“) and other. They all have 8-bit parallel interface „6800“ and a modern controller WS0010. Direct comparison of OLED display with an FSTN LCD is best illustrated in the attached video.
OLED displays can be read even “from a side” - [Link]