FTDI Expands Vinculum-II Precompiled Firmware & Source Code Offering, enabling a substantial shortening of development time.
USB solutions specialist Future Technology Devices International Limited (FTDI) has introduced additional elements to its family of precompiled, bridging ROM files that support Vinculum-II (VNC2) USB host/device controller ICs. These files can be loaded directly into a VNC2 IC and utilised in order to perform basic data transfer operations between common interfaces. Interface options include SPI, UART, USB host and USB device, with data operations such as mass storage, human interface devices, and communication device class. This provides engineers with off-the-shelf software capabilities that can be immediately implemented – enabling shorter development time and resulting in faster time to market.
The new ROM files from FTDI are:
- SPI master to UART – the bridging of a VNC2 UART to the VNC2 SPI master for controlling SPI slave devices. Data is transferrable in both directions.
- SPI slave to USB memory bridge – the bridging of a USB memory (Flash drive) device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a SPI interface.
- A SPI master to USB human interface device (HID) – the bridging of a USB HID class device (such as a keyboard or a mouse) present on the VNC2 USB host port to a SPI interface.
- A UART to communication device class (CDC) modem – the bridging of a CDC device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface, with data transferrable in both directions.
- A UART to FT232 host – the bridging of a FT232/FTxxx class device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface.
- A UART to USB HID Class Host – the bridging of a HID class device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface.
- A UART to USB Memory – the bridging of a USB memory device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface.
Each of the precompiled ROM files is accompanied by the source code, to allow users to modify and expand upon the reference software. Complete documentation and application notes are also included, which provide engineers the context of the implementation.
The new ROM files can be downloaded free of charge at: http://www.ftdichip.com/Firmware/Precompiled.htm
Simplify a development of USB devices by off-the-shelf files from FTDI - [Link]
Company Future Technology Devices International Limited (FTDI) extended support of its USB components even for connection to products with the Android operating system.
The first contribution is the release of the Application note AN_181 about accessing the „Android Open Accessory Mode“ with Vinculum-II chips. Open Accessory Mode is a new feature in of Android OS 3.1. whereby a USB host device can connect to the Android device to allow data transfer to and from the Android device over USB. FTDI chip VNC-II as a powerful 16 bit chip enables to add USB HOST capabilities to many devices thus enabling to use also this Android OS mode. AN181 document shows the access to the Open Accessory Mode on an example of a development board V2EVAL and the Motorola Xoom tablet combination. FTDI provides a full source code as well as precompiled ROM files.
The second contribution is the release of new D2XX drivers for FTxxxx chips usable for Android OS. D2XX API is common for all usual OS-es, namely Windows, Windows CE, Linux and Mac OS X. FTDI has now developed the port of D2XX drivers for Android OS including native JAVA interface code and a JAVA class. This enable an easy access to the driver from an Android application. FTDI releases these drivers as a beta-version and if necessary, you can contact the technical support at support1 [at] ftdichip.com. Detailed description is in the Technical note TN_134. Supplementary information about Adding FTDI Devices VCP Driver Support to Android is in the technical note TN_132.
Connect your USB applications to devices with Android OS! - [Link]
I just got hold of FTDI chip’s new Vinculo developing platform, so here’s a quick review for you!
Vinculo is a 25€ development platform for the FTDI Vinculum II (VNC2) dual USB host/slave microcontroller. The board design has been copied from Arduino, and they even advertise it as Arduino-inspired and Arduino shield compatible. FTDI seems to have realized the potential that comes when having a large hobbyist userbase…
Vinculo Arduino clone with USB slave – [Link]
FTDI released Vinculum-II (VNC2) development board, inspired by the Arduino. The Vinculo is a dual channel USB Host/Device Controller is targeted at rapid development and prototyping of USB Host/Device interfaces. The Vinculo has an Arduino shield pinout, with an extra row of 10 pins on the digital side. It can be programmed using a subset of standard ANSII ‘C’ using the FTDI free of charge software development environment. [via]
Vinculum-II (VNC2) development platform – [Link]