FTDI Expands Vinculum-II Precompiled Firmware & Source Code Offering, enabling a substantial shortening of development time.
USB solutions specialist Future Technology Devices International Limited (FTDI) has introduced additional elements to its family of precompiled, bridging ROM files that support Vinculum-II (VNC2) USB host/device controller ICs. These files can be loaded directly into a VNC2 IC and utilised in order to perform basic data transfer operations between common interfaces. Interface options include SPI, UART, USB host and USB device, with data operations such as mass storage, human interface devices, and communication device class. This provides engineers with off-the-shelf software capabilities that can be immediately implemented – enabling shorter development time and resulting in faster time to market.
The new ROM files from FTDI are:
- SPI master to UART – the bridging of a VNC2 UART to the VNC2 SPI master for controlling SPI slave devices. Data is transferrable in both directions.
- SPI slave to USB memory bridge – the bridging of a USB memory (Flash drive) device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a SPI interface.
- A SPI master to USB human interface device (HID) – the bridging of a USB HID class device (such as a keyboard or a mouse) present on the VNC2 USB host port to a SPI interface.
- A UART to communication device class (CDC) modem – the bridging of a CDC device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface, with data transferrable in both directions.
- A UART to FT232 host – the bridging of a FT232/FTxxx class device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface.
- A UART to USB HID Class Host – the bridging of a HID class device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface.
- A UART to USB Memory – the bridging of a USB memory device present on the VNC2 USB host port to a UART interface.
Each of the precompiled ROM files is accompanied by the source code, to allow users to modify and expand upon the reference software. Complete documentation and application notes are also included, which provide engineers the context of the implementation.
The new ROM files can be downloaded free of charge at: http://www.ftdichip.com/Firmware/Precompiled.htm
Simplify a development of USB devices by off-the-shelf files from FTDI - [Link]
I just got hold of FTDI chip’s new Vinculo developing platform, so here’s a quick review for you!
Vinculo is a 25€ development platform for the FTDI Vinculum II (VNC2) dual USB host/slave microcontroller. The board design has been copied from Arduino, and they even advertise it as Arduino-inspired and Arduino shield compatible. FTDI seems to have realized the potential that comes when having a large hobbyist userbase…
Vinculo Arduino clone with USB slave – [Link]
FTDI released Vinculum-II (VNC2) development board, inspired by the Arduino. The Vinculo is a dual channel USB Host/Device Controller is targeted at rapid development and prototyping of USB Host/Device interfaces. The Vinculo has an Arduino shield pinout, with an extra row of 10 pins on the digital side. It can be programmed using a subset of standard ANSII ‘C’ using the FTDI free of charge software development environment. [via]
Vinculum-II (VNC2) development platform – [Link]