Flyport is a revolutionary Wi-Fi module which is part of the Italian open source platform openPicus.
Flyport is not simply a serial to Wi-Fi solution, but a smart module with no need of an external host processor as it combines Processor power (Microchip PIC24F 256K Flash) with Connectivity (Microchip Wi-Fi certified transceiver).
A wide range of wireless applications can be easily developed and run on Flyport with openPicus IDE, and no Wi-Fi expertise is needed. The IDE allows to focus on application as openPicus framework, which is based on freeRTOS, manages the Wireless stack and its events.
Flyport provides the following services:
– Webserver (even Ajax apps can be run)
– TCP Socket
– UDP Socket
– SMTP Client : a possibility to send emails
– SNTP Clent : a possibility to read network time
From the hardware point of view Flyport is a very compact module (only 35*48mm). The following signals are available on the 26 ways of the male pinheader connector:
– Power Supply (5V or 3.3V, integrated LDO)
– #5 Digital Inputs
– #5 Digital Outputs (4 can be used as PWM, 3.3V level)
– #4 Analog Inputs (10 bits ADC, VRef=2.048V 1bit=2mV)
– #1 UART
– #1 SPI
– #1 I2C
– #1 Reset (Active Low)
These pins are remappable by software if needed.
There are some examples of developed applications:
– Wireless Webserver (local or remote controlled embedded devices)
watch video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33y3XN-wQ4g
– RC car is driven by Android Mobile phone
watch video http://www.youtube.com/user/openpicus#p/a/f/2/NoyuFFaKd0I
– 3-axis sensor charted on a webpage
watch video http://www.youtube.com/user/openpicus#p/f/4/GU7gp0T9iP4
– iPhone controlled Robot
watch video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHge7-rmFps
– Home automation
– Internet of things
OpenPicus has become a very active open source community, where hobbists and professionals are sharing projects, code and ideas.
Claudio Carnevali and Gabriele Allegria, the core team at the picusLAB in Rome, affirm: “We are targeting at providing an easy, powerful and affordable platform, to let your ideas be brought to the market