Electronics-Lab.com Community

3-Axis Stepper Controller

alberto

It all depends upon the motors you are using. If you are using 5 volt motors, you can use 5 volt for all. I have 12 volt motors. This is why I used the 12 volt buss from the power supply for the motors. A PC power supply provides 5 volt and 12 volt. Red to Black is 5 volts and Yellow to Black is 12 volts. It also provides a negative 12 and negative 5 that you will not use.
Here is an interesting website that discusses making a power supply from an old PC supply:
http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

MP

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

You won't be able to supply 12 volts to the stepper in this configuration. Just connect to the board. In a configuration where you use 12 volts for the stepper, you usually use a different stepper.  Aren't your steppers 5 volt ones? I thought this was the case. In a setup where you would use both the 5 volt and the 12 volt tap of the power supply, you would have your digital circuitry running from the 5 volt source and the motor circuit running from the 12 volt source.

MP

You won't be able to supply 12 volts to the stepper in this configuration. Just connect to the board. In a configuration where you use 12 volts for the stepper, you usually use a different stepper.  Aren't your steppers 5 volt ones? I thought this was the case. In a setup where you would use both the 5 volt and the 12 volt tap of the power supply, you would have your digital circuitry running from the 5 volt source and the motor circuit running from the 12 volt source.

MP

MP, his main problem is that he has a bipolar motor while the board only supports unipolar ones (5,6,8 wire motrors).

There is a circuit that can be added to the board to drive bipolar motors (I have it around somewhere) but it needs 12 power transistors per motor. It's much better to just look for another motor.

Nikolas

Here is also a PIC to Unipolar design that uses darlingtons. Of course, if you are running your circuit from the parallel port of a PC, you can connect the parallel port at points RA0, RA1, etc and not use a PIC.

Hope these are helpful to someone. The URL for the original site is at the bottom of the page on this pdf, so you can go there to get more information.

MP

PIC_to_Unipolar_Steppers.pdf

hi
my problem is this
i build board on this proekt whit UCN5804B
this board use +5v power suply
but i have some step motors whit 5 wires who works on 12 V
how can i conect this motors whit this board whet they need 12 V to work
this motors are from 5,25 floppy (the old one)
a what to build CNC who will work whit KCam 4 CNC Controller
can you help me pleas pleas

post-23046-14279143128864_thumb.jpg

Is this using the schematic in our projects section or a different design? Please provide a link or post the schematic if it is not the one in our project section. We just need to know for sure which layout you are using.
A 5 wire stepper is usually the same as a 6 wire stepper with only one wire provided to supply the voltage to the center tap of both sets of windings instead of individual wires provided to the center tap of the windings as in a 6 wire stepper.

MP

Is this using the schematic in our projects section or a different design? Please provide a link or post the schematic if it is not the one in our project section. We just need to know for sure which layout you are using.
A 5 wire stepper is usually the same as a 6 wire stepper with only one wire provided to supply the voltage to the center tap of both sets of windings instead of individual wires provided to the center tap of the windings as in a 6 wire stepper.

MP

I use this projects
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/pc/008/
but i have step motors who work with 12V
how can i conect this steps whit the board
please help me?
can u give me mail or msn or skype
my mail is [email protected]

this board use +5v power suply

It doesn't. It has an on-board 5v power supply circuit with the 7805 regulator. It takes a 8-24v input.
but i have some step motors whit 5 wires who works on 12 V

You connect 12v to the board. It goes straight to the motors. It also goes through the 7805 to provide 5v for the chips.

Nikolas

It doesn't. It has an on-board 5v power supply circuit with the 7805 regulator. It takes a 8-24v input.

You connect 12v to the board. It goes straight to the motors. It also goes through the 7805 to provide 5v for the chips.

Nikolas

hi
if i understand you i just need to connect  12V on place were i connect 5V???????

[were i connect 5V???????

Nowhere. It's created on the board. Look at the PCB. It's my revised version but the basics are the same:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17.0;id=

The 12v is connected to the two large pads on the right. The three pads next to them to the left are for the 7805. The lowest (square) is 12v input, the middle is GND and the topmost is the 5v output, which feeds the ICs

The large trace going up and then left, carries the 12v to the motors.

Nikolas