alberto

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alan9342

Hello all.
I have completed the PCB for the 3-Axis stepper controller by CW Technologies and I am about ready to populate the board. However, I noticed on the PCB overlay there are six locations marked "JP1" thru "JP6". Are these jumpers? There is no documentation in the project file or the parts list for these call-outs.

Also, I have tried unsuccessfuly to contact CW Technology about this question.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Alan

The through is that the documentation is not clear. First you must not confused by the schematic. The schematic only saw the one of the three controllers that the pcb includes (UCN5804B).With the same way the other two are connected.

So the x=6, y=7, z=8 means that for U1 that controls x motor you connect the pin14 to the 6 of the parallel port. For the U2 that controls y motor you connect the pin14 to the 7 of the parallel port e.t.c. The same you must do for the x=2, y=3, z=4. Did you get the logic of it?

But if you build it with the pcb the things are easier. The only thing you have to do is to connect the numbers that you can see on the pcb overlay to the same numbers of the parallel port connector.

Yes these are jumpers. They are used to define the mode that each stepper motor works. The modes are: two-phase, one-phase, half-step, step-inhibit. You can see how to set by reading this table:

L means Low
H means High

If you put the jumper then its Low (it short circuit the pin with ground) otherwise is High. So for each motor use the above table to set the modes.

J1 changes the pin9 state and J2 the pin10 state of U1
J4 changes the pin9 state and J3 the pin10 state of U2
J6 changes the pin9 state and J5 the pin10 state of U3

You can read the datasheet for more info on the UCN5804B
Also check the manufacture's site

mike thanks! but I still have some questions!
-what is the tension to be applied on the Pin +- Pwr?
-how connect Limit pin?
-x-y-z home?
seen that many people have found problems with the wiring of the circuit, drawing a detailed scheme and putting it at disposal of everybody on the site would be better.

alberto

Guest Alan9342

Has anyone out there built/used one of the CW Technology stepper controllers?
Any input as to ease of setup/use?
How about types of software.
I have read in the circuit documentation that it was designed to use dancad. Has anyone attempted to use another program such as K-CAM?

The input voltage can be anything from 8V to 35V, but keep it at the voltage that the motor uses and not below 8V.

As saws the schematic. You take a switch and connect the one pin of it to the ground. The other pin to the pin 10 of the parallel port and from that pin with a resistor to +5V that exist at the output pin3 of MC7805. By the way there is a place on the pcb for that switch.

For home switches you follow the same practice. Also check this artwork to see how to connect it to pcb.

dear alan i think that you can find more cnc free software in:
http://majosoft.tripod.com/hobbycnclinks/body_hobbycnclinks.html
The 3-axis stepper controller can read other cnc software than dancad.
In the archive software i had found "jalaCNC" and i think is a very simple and intuitive software in windows but i aven't try it yet.

Guest Alan9342

Thanks for the reply Alberto.

Ok, I have built the board (cw tech.) and have it connected to my pc.
Before I attempt to power the thing up with steppers attached, are there supposed to be any "power resistors" in line with the motors? Since I cannot find any further information on this stepper controller board I am at a loss with regards to the output of the thing.

I have the entire setup sitting on my lab bench and am using a HP triple output power supply for the testing.

The stepper motors are NEMA 23's 6 wire 5.2v/phase and 1.4a/phase.

Any concerns, comments, or warnings?!?!?

Thanks,
Alan

Guest Alan9342

Alberto,
I was going to use KCam, however, I have found what everyone was telling me about windows based software is true-it's "choppy". The program did run my stepper controller setup though.

So I tried to use Turbocnc. Could not get it to talk to the controller board or move the motors at all.

I then tried Dancad. The only thing I can get out of it is my parallel port 10 pin is in a high state and then the program locks up. I have searched for a method to put it in a low state (shorting to ground ect.) but nothing works.

I really don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions? ???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...