Electronics-Lab.com Community

3-Axis Stepper Controller

alberto

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've put stronger motors on my CNC and now the UCN's are getting so hot the motor cuts in and out, so now I have to put heatsinks and a fan over them.

Out of curiosity, what's "stronger"?  Mine are extremely wimpy.  I have my fingers crossed that they will cut foam.  I'll be ecstatic if they'll cut wood.

I did have 3 NMB PM55L-048 by Minebea but these were missing steps due to poor torque.  They would hardly make the UCN's hot.

I came across some Sanyo Denki Step-Syn motors which have a higher torque rating and a higher amperage per phase.  These are 24vdc motors but at the moment I am running them on 12vdc.

Even with the first motors, I was cutting 4.5mm perspex in 3 layers (you know 3 cuts at lowering depths - can't think of the term).  It would cut but as I said, it would miss steps and when it went back to x0,y0 it would be out.

David

Even with the first motors, I was cutting 4.5mm perspex in 3 layers (you know 3 cuts at lowering depths - can't think of the term).  It would cut but as I said, it would miss steps and when it went back to x0,y0 it would be out.

I think your system and my planned one are orders of magnitude apart in terms of cutting power.  ;)

Well, not much of a picture but it's quite simple

I guess I was making it more complicated than it needed to be.

Well, it really does give out smoke.

Maybe someone can tell my why.

I have been running the board on 12vdc from a computer powersupply.  I read an article on how to put 2 computer PSU's in series to make 24vdc.  Followed the instructions and it produced 24vdc.

With the new motors I mentioned above, they like 24vdc.
I made a heatsink with aluminium U channel, used heatsink compound and mounted a fan directly above.

I connected one of these motors to the z axis chip (this one was rated at 1.8amp) and when I powered it up, it cooked the UCN.

I had run the PSU's like that for a couple of hours to make sure it was reasonably stable and it was.

The pins that cooked on the UCN were pins 2 and 3.

Does heatsink compound conduct electricity? (probably sounds like a stupid question)

The driver board has been running as it should up to this moment.

What other reasons could cause this.

Thanks for the input in advance.

David

Thanks for your reply MP.

I rechecked the motor and it's only 1.2 amp.

Should it have been able to handle it?
What about the power supply setup, would this have had any roll.

If I want to run 3amp motors, (Unipolar) what is the best way to do it?

Further advice greatly appreciated.

David

RobiD, have you checked the board without the motors? Do the UCN outputs sequence when there is a step pulsetrain?

Hi

Can anyone tell me, what would be the minimum system (computer system) needed to reliably run this project?

I understand that it would also depend on the software that you want to use as well.

Yes, it depends heavily on the software. TutboCNC works on DOS and a 486 will do. Mach 2 needs XP so the PC must comply...

Hi GreekPIC, thanks for your reply :)

Well that's a shame :(, I was hoping that this old 386 I was trying to get going, would do the job ;D.

Maybe it will be good enough, for playing around with a prototype, to get familiar with the whole process.

Thanks for everyone's input with this project.

I have decided to build a driver that can run upto 6A motors in a modular design that I have found.

I really enjoyed building this one as it gave me lots of knowledge.

I figure the UCN cooked from too high a current draw.

I have lots of these 3amp and 3.25amp motors and I need to build something that can handle them.

Thanks again everyone.

David.

Hey Dazza

http://pminmo.com/

I am going to build the descrete.html X 3
and the Interface - 4 axis - modular BOB (break out board)

There is also a discussion forum which is also very helpful.

By the way Dazza is a very Aussie type name, are you in Australia?

David

Hi RobiD, :)

I was down that way last year ;), we went to sea world.  It must be starting to get a little chilli down that way, it's still warm here in Bundaberg 8), I don't think winter is going to come this year ;D.

You're about five hours a way from Bundy, a little too far to come see your project unfortunately :(.