Electronics-Lab.com Community

Generators

steven

:) for a good output generator , ive found microwave oven ,moters to be effective , although the shaft is tight to turn . but with a pair of pliers ,i tried it and little did i know at first that, i was gona get a big shock, so i tested it more ,this moter when rotated sure puts out a good charge enougth to make me drop the moter. i biult a voltage multiplier circiut . this has 19 stages useing 1n4007 diodes and 3kv ceramics 0.0033uf , and to it i ran wires , from the microwave moter , then i rotated it a few times, as tight as it was to rotate, the pair of pliers i used , sure helped. every few times i rotated it i was able to get a tiny arc or small spark from the multiplier circiut. ;)

post-876-14279141581972_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

In these pictures one is the microwave oven motor generator conected to a 19 stage voltage multiplier which consists of 3kv ceramics and 1n4007 diodes, and in the other picture when i rotate the shaft peace of the motor with the use of a hanky chief to hold the plastic thing which slips onto the motor shaft, i get good arcs of electrissity between the 2 wire , which attach to the voltage multiplier circiut. the arcs can get better but i was lucky to get this one ,as setting the camera to take a picture while i crank the motor generator, aint no easy task.

by Steven

• 4 weeks later...

:)generators, last night i solder 3x 2kv ceramics in parralell, and with the 2 legs sticking out the front, i bent them into a loop and filled the loop with solder and adjusted them to form a spark gap, then i solder a 1m 1/2 watt resitor to one side and the other side i ran the wire from one of the 2 hv outputs from the high voltage multiplier circuit thats powerd from the microwave oven moter generator to that side then the second hv output from the hv multiplier i ran to the 1m resistor, now this is a mini marx generator, at first i rotated the generator by hand to biuld up a good charge to charge the high voltage parralell ceramics, i dident know how much was on them at the time but when i got nothing i decide4d to put the generator down and reach over with my finger to the marx, i hadent got close to it yet. when all of a sudden this big loud arc shot out from one side to the other,, it was a delayed arc but why i dont know , i wasent cranking the generator at that time when it fired by itself., from steven

in this setup are 2x 6kv 0.0022uf ceraimcs solder together in parralell with only 1x 1m 1/2 watt resistor, this mini marx setup works good and runs off the high voltage multiplier circuit which is powerd up by rotateing the microwave oven motor generator, so in this exsperiment it wsent nessisary to use higher value resistors on the other side of the ceramics as im not runing it off the hv output of a flyback transformer, the total voltage rateing is 12kv , every few rotations of the generator outputs a fast fat arc between the spark gaps , before this test i had another setup 3x2kv ceramics in parralell at 0.01uf each and when i rotated the generator, nothing happend untill i put the generator down then reached over towards the hv ceramics with my finger and i wasent cloe enougth to it when it fired off by itself , like a delayed arc that was fast and loud

by Steven

Here is a closeup of the exsperimental mini marx setup used in the output of the voltage multiplier circuit powerd by the microwave oven motor generator

Steven,
Try feeding the generator to a step-up transformer, then rectify its output.
When you parallel capacitors, the voltage rating remains the same, not doubled. But the current storage is doubled.
If you put two equal-value capacitors in series, the voltage rating is doubled, but the current storage is halfed.

MP,
Yes, a capacitor stores current, like a rechargeable battery.
It also releases its stored current during discharge.
The value of the capacitor determines how much current can be stored or released, per time.
You might say that a capacitor stores electrons or holes, but I like to think of it as current.

No. Current is not stored. It is not stored in a battery, either. Current is a measurement of the movement of electrons to put it overly simple. The electrons have to be moving to have a current measurement.

Capacitors themselves offer opposition to current flow. This opposition arises from the fact that, at a given voltage and frequency, the number of electrons which go back and forth from plate to plate is limited by the capacitance of the capacitor (Farads). As the capacitance is increased, a greater number of electrons change plates every cycle, and (since current is a measure of the number of electrons passing a given point in a given time) the current is increased. The change in current that you have described is due to the change in capacitance value by series or parallel configuration. See your series and parallel formulas for capacitors to figure the capacitance value of capacitors connected in series or in parallel and this will be more clear. You are directly affecting the value of capacitance in farads.

Increasing the frequency will also decrease the opposition offered by a capacitor. This occurs because the number of electrons which the capacitor is capable of handling at a given voltage will change plates more often. As a result, more electrons will pass a given point in a given time (greater current flow). The opposition which a capacitor offers to ac (called capacitive reactance, Xc) is therefore inversely proportional to frequency and to capacitance.

MP

audioguru,

This overturns the basic of electricity! Since when do you store current, in anything??? Last time I checked it was possible to store energy in a capacitor or a battery. Until the energy moves there is no current. Maybe some leak current in the cap. ;D

Ante ::)

MP,
I was refering to Steven charging his capacitors with DC, just like recharging a battery. When you charge a capacitor, DC current flows into it. A charged capacitor has the current that has flowed into it "on-hold", waiting to be released (during discharge).

Ante,
I agree that a capacitor stores energy (which is also power) since the energy (power) that is stored is directly in relation to its voltage level and charging current (and capacitance value).

Steven,
Your capacitors retain a charge after a fat spark probably because the voltage decreases to a level that cannot keep the air ionized for that certain length of spark-gap.
However, certain types of dielectrics also retain a charge after a complete discharge. These types cause audio and video distortion. Short circuit a charged electrolytic then measure its voltage rise when the short is removed.
Do you see that your two paralleled 6KV capacitors do not have a combined voltage rating of 12KV?

:)from steven ,yes very well put, im planing a bigger hand powerd unit , and will post it when all completed. ive got video footage of the mini marx setup fireing a good fat arc , anyone like to see it ill email it if it dosent get rejected by the servor because of its size, :) steven,

In these pictures i used a small elctronic circuit box to install the microwave oven moter/ generator into. first i had to cut and file a tryangle hole in it so that the plastic part of the generator with the terminals sticking out ,will protrude through. then i drilled the holes and inserted 2 bolts to keep the moter in place, after i a drilled the hole for the plastic generator shaft to go through, then i made the back cover from a peace of flattend pvc pipe, the same i used to design my circuit boxes with, then i inserted the square white turn peace that slips onto the shaft.

Then i drilled a small hole through, the center and put a screw in to secure the turn peace to the plastic generator shaft., although the turn peace fits over the shaft ok ,its a bit hard to hold it to crank up the generator so ill make a wheel for it.

by Steven

This capacitor bank exsperiment unfinished, but with 16x 630 volts at 0.0022 uf, i powerd from the high voltage output of the high voltage multiplier circuit, powerd from the microwave oven motor generator, in the rest after i powerd the capacitor bank up i then shorted the 2 high voltage output wires together, and got a big pop like shorting out a high voltage photo flash capacitor, as soon as i get more capacitors, ill fill the board up right to the end.

by Steven

:)audio guru, yes im gona add more capacitors and they pop only when i short them out, dischargeing them is the exciteing part, the louder the bang or pop the better. its like shorting out a photo flash cap after youve charged it up, i can use a mercury switch to short them out, to discharge them ive done this before with photo flash caps , but when you do that you get a small muffeled pop and the metal mercury breaks up into grey balls and wont combine back together,

Steven,
Are they in parallel or in series?

Since you like loud bangs then BE VERY CAREFUL and try powering-up a big electrolytic 1000uF/100V connected backwards to a high-current supply. If you are not injured too badly and can still hear, then you'll be cleaning it up for months.

:) re audio guru, :) there all in parralell, audio guru, i like exsperimenting, im useing the microwave oven motor/generator to power these up. and i wont use the mains , as i kinda like this one to be portable, like my other high voltage circuits , which they run off a 12 volts lead acid cell rechargeble, battery, ill be biulding a sieries one latter, when i can get more parts, as our dicksmiths electronics stores in australia are no longer stocking many parts, and there phaseing them out , :)

• 4 weeks later...

In these pictures a length of pvc pipe is used to house the microwave oven motor/generator. in one picture taken from the opisite end youll see the rear of the microwave oven, motor/generator. and a microwave oven filter circuit, that i ended up leaveing this out as it puts a load on the motor/ generator, makeing it harder to turnin the other 2 pictures, ones a side view showing the brown plastic motor turn peace , protrudeing out the side near the front strut suport, you only need to rotate the turnpeace half way botth ways to charge up the high voltage multiplier circuit inside

in these pictures, above view showing how it looks and with the suport leg struts in place, and in the second picture the long high voltage multiplier circuit board supports allready glued in place and an a bare circuit board which i put in to show.

in these pictures the end section not yet sealed , showing the terminals for the output fitted . and the wireing yet to be cleaned up more and in one of the other pictures the front end sealed up with a peace of round pvc , made from a pvc pipe. onece thats all finished, then a few coats of varnish will look good .

by Steven (received throught email)

• 2 weeks later...

In these pictures of a second, hand powerd high voltage output generator. i put my mini marx generator . between the output terminals, each high voltage ceramic capacitor is rated at 6 thousand volts, and the 1m resister is 1/2 watts. every few half rotations of the turn peace on the microwave oven motor/ generator charges up the high voltage multiplier inside the pvc pipe, houseing then, this output via the 1m resistor ,, charges up the mini marx then it fires off a fat reasonably loud arc between the gap.

• 3 weeks later...

in these pictures i used a small hv multiplier circuit that consists of 3kv ceramic capacitors and 1n4007 1kv diodes, and the small black thing is a push button piezio electric ignitor from a portable gas oven electric ignitor. so in this circuit setup i hold the piezio electric ignitor in my right hand and repeatedly press it about 12 times or more. the output ac from the ignitor is multiplied by the voltage multiplier circuit. the hv ceramic capacitors hold enougth voltage to give you a better shock than you would get from the arcs of the pizeo ignitor, alone.

• 2 weeks later...

in these pictures is the lates generator , all installed into a pvc pipe with leg struts, one end of the pvc pipe at the top i used 2 screws for the output terminals , and at the top front end where i havent seald it yet, is the piezio push button ignitor i salvaged from our gas stove portable hand held lighter. the inside of the pvc pipe body , is 2 quarter circle pvc sections to sit the short high voltage multiplier circuit on , of which i tacked into position with hot glue, useing a bostic glue gun. this handy unit i just repeatedly push the black piezio ignitor , for about 12 clicks or more, thats the ignitor you push till it clicks and the output from it is multiplied by the hv multiplier circuit and the charge stays there untill i discharge it . i can use the small arcs from this to light the gas stove . when matches aint around to use. when i put my fingers across the output screws, after ive pushed the ignitor a number of times it sure puts out a reasonable electric shock. sometimes prity awsome