Electronics-Lab.com Community

IC question

Sugar

hi guys... im a newbie and im so confused by this.. pls help
.. if an IC has 16 pins.. and only 4 pins are needed... does this mean that the 12 ramaining pins are useless?... and all i could do about them is give them a hole?

i meant... putting an IC on a pcb that has 16 pins.. and only 4 is needed... what will i do for the remaining 12 pins?.. should i still make a hole for them with a ground on their own?.. or just a hole without any grounds.... THANX!

For some time I was making sure that I had the 4 corner pins for anchors and I left the other unneeded pads off my drawing as they were not needed. However, later I found that this was confusing to others as to which IC was there and left me the problem of making special parts drawings in the cad programs I used later on. Finally, I just left the package as is, drilled the holes and simply did not route the pads to anything as Billy has mentioned. Sometimes we make more work for ourselves in trying to eliminate some work.

MP