Electronics-Lab.com Community

Simple circuit switch

Hi, I`m a complete newbie to all this.

My project: synchronizing two discs using simple electronic circuits:

I have 2 revolving discs each with metal contacts placed at intervals along the disc`s circumferance. When the contacts on a disc pass under a pick up point above and separate from the disc, current from a 1.5 volt battery flows across the pick up points completing a circuit.

Problem 1:
Since the disc is revolving, the contacts will only complete the circuit for a short time (1 sec max.) and since it is revolving I have to choke current back so that the original circuit does not power up when other contacts pass under the pick up. Placing diodes in this first circuit will prevent a back flow of current but which type of diode for a 1.5 volt circuit?

Problem 2:
The completed circuit comprising the first disc must then open a switch so that a completely separate circuit comprising the second disk is powered on. Is there a simple electronic component with this switching function and which when powered on for this short time will then stay switched on, so that the second circuit can be completed by the contacts on the revolving second disc?.

If not, what type of inexpensive silent switch will do the job?

I`m not sure that I`ve explained this satisfactorily and it might be easier with a diagram but I would be grateful for any help or suggestions which any of you may have.
Thanks Brian

heres the answer to your switching problem (see atachment) .. But why are you using only 1.5 volts? and what are you planning to control with a 1.5 volt supply voltage? i'm also pondering over what such a switching arangement may do!.. or is it that you have finally found a use for AOL cd roms? ???

post-1076-14279141595694_thumb.jpg

Wow!!! Thanks Electro Doc, what can I say? Thanks again!

I like your idea for the Aol disks, but it would be a shame to destroy something which could well prove to be a rare collectors item in the not too distant future!

But to get back to my switching problem, I need it for a mechanical game board which I have managed to get from the drawing type board to something approaching a working model (after 8 years).

Therefore the need for the low current, although, it might be more fun to play at risky voltages.

Thanks again

Brian O

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your help MP, I will try this too.
I dont have a lot of time at the moment so I hav`nt tried any of the suggestions which have been posted.
I would like to say again how grateful I am for everyones help, I`ll post my results when I get round to putting the thing together.

Thanks Brian