Electronics-Lab.com Community

HO Scale Slot Car Racing Tree

Hello, I Need help!!! I have been working on this project for 3 months and I have reach a problem on chooseing the right components. (Part Numbers and such) I also need to incoperate a few things I am just not sure how to implement it in with the rest of the circuit. I am building a HO Scale Racing Tree(Christmas Tree) for HO Scale Slot Cars. I have a Schematic drawn out, and uploaded to my computer I can send it to any one who wants to Help. I am doing this as a Hobby and if it works, I would like to post it for others to use I know many others looking for this same circuit. If you feel you can help or would like to give it a shot let me know I will send you a copy of the Schematic. Thanks.

OK here is the schematic so far. I would like to Implement a false start senor and light to this that would stop the circuit if it is tripped. I suppose for the sensor I would just use a photo resistor, for the light a red led but how to wire it in stumps me. I would also light to put in the prestage and stage lights using photo resistors and diodes and when both lights are lit it starts count down. If any one can figure out how to make this work or simplify it let me know.

post-1738-14279141602217_thumb.jpg

I saw your posted schematic but did not understand what you were trying to accomplish, so had hoped someone more familiar with your hobby would converse with you. ( I am not an HO enthusiast.)
I do not see a way to trip the circuit. It is only connected to a 555 timer and thus will always run. Am I missing something? What starts this procedure to turn on the lights? I know that it is voltage applied to the circuit, but when is voltage applied to the circuit? And how could it be falsely tripped?
If you have been working on this for 3 months, don't give up if you do not get a reply in 3 days. You are not wasting anyone's time.

MP

I haven't quite figure that out yet, totally. I am going to have sensors on my track, most likely light sensitive sensors. first sensor will be the prestage sensor when they cross that the prestage light lights. then one a little further ahead will be the stage sensor. when they cross that sensor the stage lamp lights. I want it to start when both lights (prestage and stage) are lit the circuit as shown in the schematic will start. I also want to put in a false start so that if they move before the go light(Green) a the false start(Red) will light and stop the circuit. The circuit shown above is of the 3 yellow lights and the green. I am unsure how to implement the rest. That is what I posted for and to see if what I have so far is workable of if there is a more simplified way to do it. I hope this clears up some things and maybe help others see what I am trying to do. :)

I had a schematic with every thing I am trying to do incorperated but most people I showed it to got really confused. alot of it was done on false(incorrect) theory. I chose not to post that cause I didn't want to start out here with every one confused. I am unsure about the Light sensors as to what type and what specs to use. I was hoping to get tthat info here. and LED theory is really kind shady to me last one I tried to use I shot the top across the room ::). freaked my wife out not good. If some one with experiance playing with these types of electronics could help me out it would be great.

I think you are on the right track about the light sensing sensors. When the object breaks the beam it can trigger a circuit. If you use two such circuits, and connect them together such as an AND gate, you will eliminate false triggering because both would have to be activated in order to start the trigger action. The best way to achieve this might be to use a laser and LDR (Light Dependent Resistor). One half of the circuit will send the laser light beam and the other half of the circuit (LDR) will receive it. There might be such a circuit in the projects section of this site. If not, I will look around. I know I have seen an already made design for a laser trigger circuit somewhere.

MP

Thanks for the input MP. OK I thought about the and gate to run the staging lights, I just am unsure where to run the output to to make it start the countdown. either on the 555 or 4017? then any suggestions on a false start light (if the car leaves the mark before the green light comes on if I could work it into the staging lights, space them out far enough that if the car moves one sensor changes state and stop the lights where the are and turns on a red false start light) ??????

If I understand the circuit correctly, the 555 is starting the count and the 4017 is counting so that the different lights come on in a sequence. Therefore I would trigger the 555 for a restart or to stop the circuit.
Have you thought about using a microprocessor to control this circuit? You would have a lot more control and could eliminate the 555, transistors and the 4017. You can program micros with basic. Instead of loops of time with counter chips, you would just tell the micro to pause for x number of seconds and watch certain pins for a trigger that can stop the program or start another routine.

MP

That sounds like a great Idea MP, but I don't know how to do that. I don't have a microprocessor. I have no idea what kind to get nor do I have the equipment or know how to program one. I am trying the other method because I have some idea of how to do it. :-\ ???

Hey, I just came across this schematic. Reminded me of yours. The author's name is Bill Bowden. I will give him credit here. His article reads:
The LED traffic Light circuit controls 6 LEDs (red, yellow and green) or both north/south directions and east/west directions. The timing sequence is generated using a CMOS 4017 decade counter and a 555 timer. Counter outputs 1 through 4 are wire ORed using 4 diodes so that the (Red - North/South) and (Green - East/West) LEDs will be on during the first four counts. The fifth count (pin 10) illuminates (Yellow - East/West) and (Red - North/South). Counts 6 through 9 are also wire ORed using diodes to control (Red - East/West) and (Green - North/South). Count 10 (pin 11) controls (Red - East/West) and (Yellow - North/South). The time period for the red and green lamps will be 4 times longer than for the yellow and the complete cycle time can be adjusted with the 47K resistor. The eight 1N914 diodes could be substituted with a dual 4 input OR gate (CD4072).

I thought you might be interested in comparing the two circuits.

post-555-14279141604144_thumb.jpg