Electronics-Lab.com Community

Pulse Width Modulation DC Motor Control

Hi there,
I have small problem I need help with. I'm crazy about fishing and kayaking in the same time(love the quite, hidden spots where the "real" fishermen with the 200HP+ bassboats never show up) and if you ever try to do paddle a kayak and holding the fishing rod in the same time ,then you ll' probably now, what I'm talkin' about.I customized allready the yak - (install the motormount,battery holder(I'm using the Optima spiral cell battery),shorten the minn kota trolling motor (type 35T with 27 lb.trust and cca 30 amp.draw/Hr.,)pole, .... and done all possible things to get the Pamlico 100 yak from Wilderness System to move and I'm really happy with the results. I spend last weekend on the water and everything works just fine with one small problem - the 5 speed switch on the trolling motor don't give me quite the optimal speed ( 1st. gear is already too fast for fishing and max. speed will probably drain the battery in two hours or so). There is the Idea: I need something called like "Pulse Width Modulation DC Motor Control" wich would replace my current 5speed factory switch (have to be most probably custom build because of the 30amp's motor draw). "Is there enybody out there" who can make it? Ill pay all the time and parts and send you every week a fish or so. Please HELP !
Thanks
Navy

Hi everybody,
Thanks for the reply and for the tips.
I looked on the recomended companies websites and all they sell runs 24V and up. that's for the first mesage. Now to the wiring on the motor.Im just simple carpenter from germany ( living in Chicago yet)able to change the light bulb or switch back a powerbraker. But I try. Ill like to skip the factory switch and use only the two (neg+positiv) wires running directly to the motor brushes (5th. gear or max. speed on the original switch) and put the new unit somewhere between the battery and motor without connecting the factory switch and resistors (located very inconveniently down behind the rotor in the waterproof body - probably because of the resistors cooling) again .I was hoping to simply disconnect the wires runing between the switch and down in to the tube to resistors - nicely to insulate them and pushin' them back in to the tube and seal it some way eccept the two main direct + and - .The new speed regulator have to be able to switch backwards and forwards too but thats probably not that complicated .
My plan is move all the motor controls (speed,steering) to the front of me in to the cockpit - the electronic parts of it probably in one of the otter waterproof boxes and the steering control with customized ruder foot pedals. I can probably get some more technical info from the Minn Kota website (about the wiring) or simly open i and make picture of it. Whatewer helps. Thanks again and if somebody out there is able to help me with it just feel fre to use the email too.
[email protected]
navy