Electronics-Lab.com Community

741, TL071, LF351, NE531, TL061, TL081 IC tester

This circuit will test the 741 ic . by using an ic socket in place of the 741 ic youll be able to just plug in the ic to test to test slide the switch on and one led will come on , press the button the other led will come on to show this ic to be working ok this will test other intergrated circuits equivalent to the 741 ic

by Steven (received via e-mail)

Mixos, thats not a bad circuit you have, but i feel you have to many parts which i do not like in a testing circuit. I test the IC by simply using it as an adder/subtractor.

I attach two 1.5V batteries as the input and measure the output.

Ante you are right but i am just giving a way which i used once or twice to test a IC much simple and more easy to breadboard than by the one given by mixos. Anyway one does require to test an IC now or then when trying to find an error in a circuit to reach to a conclusion to what is not functioning.

Testing cheap opamps?
I designed an audio equalizer that adjusted the levels at 7 frequencies, to flatten the response of a new loudspeaker. I also designed a complicated tester for the circuit which automatically stepped through many specs such as current drain, output noise, harmonic distortion (0.05% max limit), and the level at all the 7 frequencies, using green/red LEDs to show pass/fail and the test's progress. Using TL074 quad opamps, 15,000 units were built locally and I was responsible to fix the failures:
1) One unit had the IC installed backwards.
2) Two units had shorted power supply filter capacitors.
15,000 units with quad opamps = 60,000 opamps were tested and not a single one failed! Within 1 year of the sale, and they sold quickly, not a single unit was returned. These tests were much more stringent than the simple test that is posted.
Why bother to test opamps? Opamps that I have seen work VERY well.

The hobbyist does not have the luxury of knowing that 14,999 units are working so it must be a component failure and not a mistake in the board layout, design, or something else. The hobbyist also will put a lot more time into a circuit that would never be considered in a manufacturing situation. For a manufacturing company, it is a fast piece of cash. For a hobbyist, it is a work of art. Where the manufacturing industry would never use such a testing device or use a part that was removed from somethng else, a hobbyist would have a use for such a testing device. This community holds an International audience. Perhaps you have the luxury of Radio Shack or similar. There are places in this world where even an op amp is not so easy to come by.
By the way, siddharth, your method does not test the op amp under any loading, which is where you would normally see the failure.

MP

Why waste components for a tester of something you test once or twice. The cost of this tester will exceed the price of some new op-amps. I think for an amateur the money is better spent on a protoboard on which you can make a temporary test bench for any IC and of curse use for a lot of other things.

Ante ::)

:) a testor like this dose help reduce the time in fault finding, and if your hevily into scroungeing second hand parts from old electronic junk. it is usefull to know what still works and what dosent work, especially ,if you have the sometimes messy job at removeing these from the board, if they aint pluged into an ic socket, stay tuned the 2 section 1458, testor and the 7400 ic testor will be here soon. steven

MP you got a point in my head about loading. Thanks for defending the hobbyist. I do need to test IC now and then when i get junk from repair shops,etc.