Electronics-Lab.com Community

Coil levitation device and electromagnetic launcher circuits

mixos

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, i need to create a aluminum ball launher, my first launcher was mae of wood and a spring working like a catapult. i want to create a new launcher using which will wokr as an electro magnet since the one i made is very inaccurate... and hard to make it accurate... i need an idea, i dont really know much about electro magnets.. but what can i do? my i dea was to put a magnet half way into a coil and when i connect it to electricity the magnet will move into the centre of the coil pretty fast and when it will stop the aluminum ball sitting on it will keep moving and shoto it into the air.. any suggesstions about how to makeit acually work? (using no more then 24V source)
I will be very thankful for ANY suggestion.. thanks

:)mike b ive never biult these electromagnetic launchers from these schematics i posted, yet but the idea of diagmagnetically repelling alliuminium objects by induction is cool the coil gun if your useing a sieries of coils will need sensers in the design to switch on each coil as the object, being repeled goes through the coil , i geuss like timeing , as for the circuits i posted here you just need to wind that coil the way it says and these coils tap into each other after so many turns, and you dont need the timeing like circuitry to fire each sieries coil when the object enters it as the object sits over the core and the coil around the core energizes this alliuminium object or ring and then it shoots off , there is a site around about useing magnets for shooting objects but you need a sieries of magnets to use for it i used a coil from a car igntion coil, just one coil i removed the fine seconadry winding from the center, just push it out with your finger with the core them i was left with the thick primary still intact i sat a steel nail in it and with each end of the coil i had one end attached to a 12 volts battery not car type, and when i touched the other wire to the second terminal the nail shot out to a good distance , like i was a transister switching it on and off and the speed i did it , the nail dident get sucked back in like an electromagnet it just went through and shot out, not bad for a bit of manual timeing by touching wire to battery terminal

Thanx for replying.... i didnt quite get how u made the nal fly out, is there a way to energize a ball made out of aluminum (about 30g) to launch for more then 3m (up to atleast 6m)... and i thougth about the coil gun with the many coils, and it doesnt take a lot of money to create one (just simplest laser pointers, photosensor and small relay... but still, it is a lot of work to set it all up... my idea was more like in the picture i attached... when i conect to the electricity there is repolsion between B and C.. when i remove A parts it shoots the balll D out and E is how the electromagnets lok fron the side.. but thats only my theory... i have no clue how to make it work.. i mean what i dont knwo is will it be able to launch a ball 3m or more and how much coil turns i need and which materials will give me the best result?

post-4888-14279141842982_thumb.jpg

:)mike b although ive never biult any coil gun or aliuminium launching electro magnetic launcher yet, your illiustration is like an electromagnet useing magnets instaed of ion but you need to design the core from iron and your windings need to be plenty like in the circuits i posted, at the top of this topic and after so many windings you have to tap into it then rewind more windings, ive seen a site before where objects are launched in the same or similiar way ill find it and let you know, meanwhile you may like to look at the can crusher sites , where alliuminium cans are crushed with the high voltage being dumped into a coil of coper wire wraped around a can and even an american quarter can be shrunken to a small size

Today i am going to buy all the neccessery equipment... so i will experiment for a few day.. the thing is that all the high voltage experiments are out of the list cuz i dont have the budget not the ability to use more the ~24VDC and i have a pretty strong magnet that can open and close a doot with 12VDC so i will try to open it and use the electromagnt itself for my launcher... so i will update hw the process is going and if it will wok i will post how it should be built.. but if you can give me any ideas or websites that migt help it will be great
Steven, Thanks for all your help

mike b powerlabs has something like that coil guns rail guns stuff . the sight may be closed down , but you can fins information to biuld an electro magnetic launcher or nail shooter in electronics lab somewhere, if you like the idea of diagmagnetically repelling alliuminium from induction like those circuits i posted in the high voltage stuff section , you may like to check out the electromagnetic can cruahers if you havent allready did it these will help giude you :)

mike b go to the topic by bakr chareging of capacitor in the high voltage stuff section just down from this one and in it youll find some circuit schematics of the electromagnetic coil gun i uploaded before, the electromagnetic gun launchers alliuminium rings, and youll find these handy the circuits and schematics are all there this is what you need this alliuminium ring launching gun is a real beauty