Electronics-Lab.com Community

hv polarity indicator/ voltage optimizer

mixos

In these 2 pictures retesting this simple modified circuit, to give led indication of hv arc flow from one wire to the other , was delayed by the 12 volts battery powering the flyback driver circuit,runing low on voltage. the arcs were so thin you wont see them let alone the red led lighting up, so ill redo the test when the battery is fully charged, the red when lite indicates hv dc , next test ill do it in a slightly darker condition , so you can see the red led lit up. this circuit is only the second out of 2.

by Steven (received via e-mail)

During the retest of the simple modified high voltage polarity indicator, which apears to really make the high voltage arcs stronger and shoot further, the test i did in darker conditions seem to come up better in showing the arcs and the 2 lit leds when i think it should of been one, dureing the spectacular lightening storm on my desk, yes my desk as i failed to remember to get rid of the conductive contact paper covering my desk. and holding a camera and switching it on and trying to adjust the driver at the same time , and use whatever i can to hold 2 wires in position , but anyhow i used a peace of pvc pipe to hold the wire on with blue tac but some how dureing the photographing the pvc pipe rolled apart and i couldent beleave my eyes to see this really long purple arc shoot that far , with the hv optimizer circuit, it certainly gave the arcs greater distance, like a marx generator but in all the rush in trying to photograph it i ended up getting the photo wrong , but anyhow in the darker photo that came out the best, youll see the 2 leds lit up, the other darker photos taken to show the arcs better came out blury , remember i was doing to many things at the same time and in the middle of a lightening storm, the best insulated wire from the driver circuit to the flyback was arcing to the desk top conductive paper and other parts to untill i resolved it, the really longest arc when i tried to photograph it i messed up as got the wrong thing in the picture ,in the rush.

Are you using just a transformer?It's interesting that voltage and current are used so often in electronics, yet it's the voltage which produces the arc. How does a generator produce a low voltage AC which can be converted to a high voltage AC? In other words, where does it get the current? Is it the physical size of the generator, because the rate gives you amplitude?

:D weddle the driver circuit used to power the high voltage tv flyback transformer is powerd from a 12 volts rechargeble lead acid cell battery, some high voltage flyback transformers normally have biult in high voltage tripplers , to put out tripple dose, im not far from completeing my 21st high voltage output unit, and all my flyback transformer collection will be used up, im sorry about the rush in trying to photograpth this amazeing long arc , only to have made a blunder in the rush, but all my units ive biult never did what this did dureing the incedent of the wire stuck to the pvc pipe section rolling apart, when the blue tac failed to hold it, and the wire moved apart with it, and that was when i saw it shoot really far, a purple arc. this modified hv polarityindicator certainly made the difference for sure , the modified hv polarity indicator i only ever used it on this flyback transformer, to test it.

:D weddle oh i forgot i did test the hv polarity indicator on another flyback transformer, with its hv out and return both at the top, this one i can adjust the driver circuit and one led will light up showing hv dc to be flowing but when i readjust the driver circuit more, the other led lights up showing ac, im not much in technicle exsplanation department here but . but ill leave it to anyone else who can exsplain it better, steven

What circuit do you use to indicate the high voltage? The circuit must have a threshhold so that you can indicate at least the minimum voltage you are getting. I might use a device that requires high voltage to operate. Have you heard of those pressurized things that shunt high voltage. I can't remember what their called.

:D re kevin weddle. kevin thanks for arsking the only indication i have of high voltage flowing is the arcs i get and the 2 leds lit up via a 1m 1/2 watt resister, i dont have a voltage devider nor the room to biuld one on my crowded desk. all i have is a multimeter but even i aint gona risk that exspensive peace of test gear. but i can only say that if you can get great arcs then it would be rougthly in the thousands of volts as for the voltage from the driver circuit to the flyback about 12 volts or under if theres any voltage loss but normally my 12 volts rechargeble battery is charged to just over 12 volts to try and compensate. i hope ive anserwd your qestion ok. im not much in the techniqle exsplanation department , but be free to email me for any circuits you may be seeking. steven

• 2 weeks later...

Analyzing a logic circuit, the multiple emitter and totem pole, I am left with the idea of circuits that have already been designed. It would be nice to design my own high voltage circuits, though I know they would be crude. High voltage often incorporates the use of other scientific components, besides transistors and the like. How does a tv go about modulating such high voltage? Or does it? Does it just add the DC level for the tube? It seems strange that you could vary such a high DC by a small amount and produce the light.

Kevin,
A TV's Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) operates like a normal vacuum tube, except its "plate" is the screen (covered with phosphors). The screen is connected to the very high voltage which accellerates the electrons emitted by the heated cathode, which is near ground. The grid of the CRT (and normal vacuum tubes) modulates the current of the electron beam.
The high voltage supply remains constant.

Those "glass pressurized devices" are used for lighning arrestors. When the voltage at one end rises to its threshold, the gas inside ionizes and it conducts heavily, arresting the high voltage and its current to the other end, which is ground. A neon light bulb works on a similar principle. (Don't try plugging a neon light bulb without a current-limitting resistor into the mains, like I did when I was a kid!)

• 3 months later...

Yeah, a neon bulb even lights with static electricity.
Try attaching 1 wire of a neon bulb to a metal rod. The other wire to a small antenna. At night, ground the rod near a radio or TV station antenna, or under power lines. I think that the bulb will light pretty well. Then try it with a long flourescent tube.