Electronics-Lab.com Community

cable route detector

hello people..
im a newbie.. im need to design a device that can detects cable route and estimates current without physical connection to the power cable in concealed electrical installation.

i havent been able to find much circuit diagram or anythingregarding this topic. can someone please help me? and enlighten me plz? ???

This subject was discussed briefly last December here:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=125

I posted a simple schematic. You would need to add some type of meter to the circuit. As drawn, it will only detect.

MP

this is the description of my project:

A practical problem in domestic electrical installation is that during simple renovation of houses. Concealed electrical wiring makes difficult for the house owner to identify a suitable location to nail the wall. Also to estimate amount of current the cable is conducting without actually connecting to any measurement meter is definitely a great helpful for an electrician to plan on additional electrical installation. This project is to design an electronic circuit with a display unit, which will detect electromagnetic wave/any type of radiated wave a power cable might produce, and use for routing detection as well as to estimate the amount of current it is carrying

can i use the metal detector approach for this?
im a little confused... i really need advice please

The metal detector approach will tell you there is a wire there, but it will also tell you there is a nail or a water pipe there. It will not tell you what the current of the wire is. For this, you will need an inductance meter circuit.

MP

thedreamer,
It is possible to detect if it is power or a nail but the current cannot be measured this way. There are cheap detectors for this making a LED blink for power and lit constant for a nail or pipe. If you need to measure current there must be a known distance between the wire and your divice.

Ante ::)