Electronics-Lab.com Community

Electronic Eavesdropping Devices Detector

yourwins

I should've been more clear about what I said earlier.

- I built the project according to the schematic and not the PCB.
- Afterwards, I realized that the schematic and the PCB on this website don't correspond.
- I then changed the project to correspond to the PCB layout.

In response to audioguru's questions:

1) I used an LM324, 14-pin IC as a substitute, instead of the "IC1 = 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi audioguru and all o' ya...

I think that the mistake I made initially was to assume that the schematic is incorrect and not the PCB.

I built the whole project *on breadboard*, according to the schematic. I would suppose that this is why it wouldn't work. When dealing with such high frequencies such as 1MHz-1GHz, breadboard testing won't work...

Fore sure, I know that there is an error on the schematic (D1 is used to label a capacitor) but I dont know whether the schematic was indeed the right one for this project.

The strange thing is that when I checked the schematic on the 'Smartkit' website, I found the very same schematic for Kit #1154.

Think I'll try a new approach and let you all know my results.
Thanks again..

The Duke,
South Africa

Hi Duke,
Sometimes kit-makers put errors on purpose on their schematics and pcb patterns to stop people from simply copying them. It is fun for me to try to re-engineer what is correct.
Besides the opamp wiring and parts differences, all around the diode looks odd.

The RF section of this project belongs on a tightly layed-out pcb to work at those extremely high frequencies. It hardly has any RF gain, maybe to avoid picking-up radio and TV stations, so I don't expect it to be very sensitive.  ;D

Hi Audioguru and every body

I am curious at the thinking that kit-makers put errors in their products purposely -- and if the kits would not work -- would that defeat their intention to sell the kits  -- so they have protected their intellectual properties -- but not their businesses ?

I have experience in using kits only a few times and am lucky that I succeed every time. It is nice to have some one in this forum poiting out the traps, saving the headache of many .....

• 3 weeks later...

i have purchased the electronic eavesdropping devices detector kit, assembled it, but it doesnt work. I checked if all the components were in the right place, and it seemed all to be in order. Could there be a problem with the kit, or is there something I could have done wrong?

the speaker makes no sound at all, no matter what I do to the sensitivity. I am just trying to detect a normal FM bug. Its going to be part of a university project. my multimeter broke a few days ago, so i will not be able to give you those readings. As this is quite urgent ( it needs to work by tomorrow!), please could you give me any advice that might work.

Hi Maroela,
Maybe the circuit isn't sensitive enough to detect the low power of an FM bug.
Try to detect a cell phone.

Maybe the kitmaker supplied 2N2222 transistors with a plastic case. To be certain that you have installed them correctly, compare the pins of the metal case on the kit's layout diagram with this comparison picture showing both:

post-1706-14279142247789_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Webharsh,
Welcome to our forum. ;D
The circuit amplifies and detects very high frequency radio signals. More amplification won't allow it to detect IR which is light that cannot be seen.
To detect IR you need a light detector such as a photodiode, phototransistor or IR receiver IC.

so can we connect a photodiode with the circuit , to detect IR signals ? if yes then how ?

Of course not. This is a high frequency radio circuit. IR is light, not radio and is modulated at low frequencies.
For years, IR remote control uses an IR receiver IC.

What do you want to do with IR?

IR is a form of energy, it doesn't have a frequency that is tuned. Anything with some heat in it transmits IR. The sun transmits a lot of IR as do stoves and fires. Your body transmits some IR.
You must say how strong is the IR you want to detect.

IR is analog modulated with sound and is used for wireless music and language translation.
IR is also digitally modulated with codes for remote control.
Which do you want to detect?