Electronics-Lab.com Community

"Notify of Replies"

audioguru

Mixos,
I always want notification of replies to my posts. But frequently I get e-mails about replies, then I have to go there to find that the reply was the one that I just finished. Can "notify of replies" exclude my own reply?

The "notify of replies" e-mail shows the thread, which is good. When I open it, I am sent to the index, not the thread. Can the e-mail link directly to the thread?
Thanks ;D

I made a test message, to test what you mention above... but no notification came to my answer post. Did you noticed this more than once? Maybe there was an answer almost the same time (before or after your post) and for that's why you received the notification.

About the direct link to the last message of the threat this is not something i can easylly add.

Mixos, thanks.
I will double-check the index page when notified (since I am sent to it anyway) to see if it reports me as making the last post in that whole index.

Perhaps you misunderstood my 2nd concern:
Having the e-mail notification linking directly to the last-posted message of a thread would be good, but not necessary. I was hoping that the notification could directly link to the general thread, instead of to the index page as it does now.

The link included to the e-mail drives you directly to the topic that anwered and not the index page.

Here is a sample link generated when answering this topic:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=804;start=new

This is driving you in to the topic not the index page.

Well, it has been over an hour and I did not get a notify e-mail about my own reply because that is fixed now.

The previous notify e-mail sent me to the index page "General Feedback/Comments", instead of to this topic, like other web-site forums do. The e-mail was this:

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching.

View it at http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=804;start=new

More replies may be posted, but you won't receive more email notifications until you read the replies

Regards,
The Electronics Lab Community team.

Mixos,
The highlighted part of my notify e-mail is also underlined. The part that is not highlighted is also not underlined, maybe that is the problem.
It is difficult to copy and paste because my browser is not opened.
Outlook Express opens my browser when I click on a highlighted URL. If I manually highlight the entire URL, then click on it, I still go to the index page.

Many other web-forums work properly for me, why not this one?

The problem is located to your e-mail client. It can't understand the ";" as part of the URL. So in this URL:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=804;start=new

it will understand this as a link:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?board=4

and the rest part will be not included when you click to the link:

action=display;threadid=804;start=new

so you will finally go to: http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?board=4

which is the board index.

I attach you an image to see how my e-mail client understund the whole URL with no problem.

THanks

Mixos,
Yes, I see that all other forum replies that work OK for me do not use a semi-colon (;) in their notify URL. Maybe my e-mail client does not know your font, I see that the "dot" of the semi-colon looks to be very high.
If you can't fix it then maybe it is time for me to upgrade my Win98, but Microsoft won't let me in because my browser (IE 4.01) is too old.
New computer? Yeah, maybe in 10 years when my new bios/clock battery dies (I haven't replaced its original 10-years-old one yet).

The font displayed in your e-mail is determined by your operating system and your choices in outlook. The font is not downloaded.

I have no problem accessing this with my win98 operating system on my old 350 MHZ PII laptop, so I doubt that it is a Win98 problem. You can get "Outlook 6 for Win98" free from the microsoft website. It was considered a critical update.

MP

MP,
Thanks for the suggestion but Microsoft won't let me in because their "update" URL responds only to browsers using IE5.5 and up, which I don't have. They want me to BUY an update.

I think that I am on the right track:
I just changed the alphabet in my OE font settings to "universal" from its previous "western", and now my e-mail notifies look the same but send me to the Community Index page instead of previously the Catagory Index page (which now is even worse).
Now I have many more alphabet settings to try.

Hey Mixos,
One of those alphabet settings is GREEK!
Should I try it first?

audioguru,
The laptop is at my other office, so I will look when I get there. In the meantime, I have found the following at microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=&freetext=internet+explorer&DisplayLang=en

1. Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the latest version of Internet Explorer and includes a full installation of the Web browser. This update addresses the vulnerability addressed in Knowledge Base Article 326489. To learn how to get additional security updates, see the Overview section.

Date: 9/9/2002 Popularity: #4 English download

Hope it helps.
MP

Thanks, MP.
Microsoft won't let my old browser into there either, "Connection with server cannot be established".
This minor problem is the only one that I have had. My wife says that an occasional contest URL won't let her in.
I have heard that newer browsers are resource-hogs and eat hard-drive space. Therefore the browser on my 486 will remain as it is.

The font setting on my 98 system is Times new roman and language is "Latin Based". My Internet Explorer 6 has all the language plug-ins, so I assume most of the work is done in the background. It sounds like you have the first version of 98. Perhaps you can find the second edition somewhere. It might help.

MP

Yes, Ante.
This is my 1st and only computer, and it is a 486DX/100. I upgraded to the last 486 chip that Intel made, with Pentium features such as bigger L1 cache memory. The CPU chip and its 5V to 3.3V regulator are fitted to a daughter board that is the same size as an older 486 DIL chip. My computer doesn't even have any L2 cache memory.
My Compaq computer is all-in-one, like a Mac, so I couldn't upgrade the motherboard.
My cable ISP has announced "Extreme Hi-speed" at 5MB/sec., but I'm happy (except for jerky video) with my 486 and its 1MB/sec download speed.

Hey guys!
When I say USING it, I mean it!
My 486 is used every day on the internet (cable) for surfing, e-mail, ordering parts and for word-processing invoices, etc. It is reliably running Windows 98, 1st Edition ......

.....Any other challengers?

I would not exactly call this reliable, noting the above comments... You have also wasted mixos time for a problem that does not exist on this system.

It seems you have two choices:
Upgrade or stop complaining.

MP