Electronics-Lab.com Community

electrostatic & leyden jars

greenpogo

i made my own leyden jar out of a 35mm film container - im trying to charge it w/ the output of a 5kv neon transformer (the primary is rewound with 5 or 6 turns). the output is grounded to the 13.8 @ 6a. when fired up, the hv out wire will shoot 60hz sparks at anything somewhat conductive more than 1/2" away.

i am trying to fill up the layden cap described above with no luck. if anyone has any ideas why - id love to hear them. is a 35mm leyden just too small? is there something wrong w/ how im trying to charge it? how long do leyden jars keep a charge?

any help appriciated >> crstn :-\

Greenpogo,
Doesn't a leyden jar and any other capacitor charge with Direct Current?
Your neon transformer produces Alternating Current.
To convert the AC to DC use the high-voltage rectifier from a colour TV.
Your film container may not have enough insulation to hold a charge. The film manufacturer may use an anti-static ingredient (conductive agent) in the plastic, in order to avoid static sparks (from the film sliding around) from ruining the film. A plasic container company once demonstrated the difference of their anti-static containers to the ordinary containers from their competitors. After only 1 week sitting on a shelf, the anti-static ones were much cleaner. The ordinary containers attracted dust like a magnet to iron.
The ordinary ones would make a good leyden jar.