Electronics-Lab.com Community

Homade Synth?

I am interested in building my own syntheziser. I've searched all over the web but couldn't really find any resources for it. At the moment, I'm looking for reliable ways to generate different shapes of waves at certain frequencies as well information on what I need to do to get the signal to the amp. Does anybody have a site or anything they can point me at?

I believe a synthesizer is just an oscillator with enough added to make it variable. I know that there are but a few major designs for oscillators like the Hartly, Colpitts, and Clapp. A synthesizer could be a variable one of these. I would be interested in any advice concerning the operation of synthesizers. I must mention that there are frequency changers, but wouldn't they be a variation of the variable oscillator? Also, a synthesizer uses an oscillator as a reference frequency and gives you variance.

http://www.computerpro.com/~lyle/pc-syn/pc-syn.htm

PAIA electronics used to sell kits for synthesizers. You might be able to find some of their stuff on the web. They went out of business some time ago when they started gearing their synthesizers to commadore PET control. I do not think it was a good combination.

Every so often, I see some of their VCOs and filter circuits on the web.

MP