Electronics-Lab.com Community

Testing Components?

Hi.
Is there any way for testing Hots and Lopts and other transofrmers without expensive ecuiptment.
like the transistor tester is there a way for testing transformers the same, with the 3 legs?
If anyone knows of some schematics for a tester i would be most greatful.

Also im testing diodes incircuit some test working but some give me false reading. till i take them out then they give me the proper reading, is it possible to test inboard without a false reading?
thanks again

Test it the way you would with any other component; with a bridge circuit. You have to know the frequency it was designed for. You might find that the device is so accurate that you would be looking at very small variation. But this is what a bridge is designed for. You might start with the fact that the transformer can be broken down into an inductance value for each winding. Also, this is going to have to be subjective, since any real equation dealing with a transformer is not going to be accurate enough.

What you might look for in the final result is the amount of similarity between the input and output signal.