Electronics-Lab.com Community

ELM - Pocket Size MP3 Player

• 3 weeks later...

Just a suggestion....For prototyping, I usually make a small pc board for all my surface mount chips which terminate to a standard dip socket pattern on the outer edges. This way, I only have to solder once and I can use the same chips over and over again in different design configurations.
Of course, for the final product, I make a board with the correct pattern.
Lots of little wires soldered to the pins of this type of chip is really asking for failure at some point.

MP

Yeah, I'm not going to wire an entire circuit like that, just little SMT to DIP adapter boards.
Before surface-mount was invented, National Semi. sold LM3914 and LM3915 modules, with a black "blob" for the tiny IC and very small LEDs welded on the surface with tiny wires. The LEDs were covered with a 10-bar diffuser. I still have some. Those old LEDs are pretty dim so I might drill them out and replace them with modern high-brightness ones.

Ante,
Seagram's? Never in the early morning when I do my wiring.

Many new ICs are surface-mount only, in new smaller packages.

How do you hand-wire ICs in "bump" packages? They have little connection bumps all over the bottom, not just around the outside.
I guess that you could connect to them upside down.
Also, how can a manufacturer IR-reflow-solder those tiny thingys.