Electronics-Lab.com Community

Problem with LEAD-ACID Battery

Guest Kasamiko

Guest Kasamiko

My new battery 150AH capacity is about 1 month old now. I noticed some weird stuff starting to form on my battery terminals, mostly the positive side.. :( and it's eating away my copper terminal clip. I had to replaced it with stainless type. :D
Now my questions are:
1. It is normal for the battery this new?
2. What is the causes of it?
3. What will I do to avoid or minimized it?

Thanks for any info..

Rhonn ;) ;)

Guest Kasamiko

Rhonn,

Have you noticed if the top surface is wet or moist around the filling holes?

Ante ::)

Yes Ante..and there are some crytallines substances to..

Rhonn,

I would not accept a leaky battery. The build-up of these acid crystals, which can lead to failure and even arcing and explosion, is not acceptable. If at the time of a high current pulse the clip is almost eaten through by the acid, the clip will burn off causing a spark. A battery under charge is constantly emitting hydrogen (NO SMOKING) that is explosive and disaster strikes 8). You can perform a capacity test on the battery to determine if it is within the specs. At least I think you should perform one near the end of the warranty time. I presume a 150Ah battery is quite expensive where you live, it

Rhonn,

A high quality well maintained lead acid battery is not dangerous, but if it is not and it explodes the sharp edged plastic debris and the acid flying around is!
http://www.msha.gov/Accident_Prevention/Tips/battery.htm

Take Care ;D

Ante ::)

post-929-14279141698976_thumb.jpg

Guest Kasamiko

Oh..c'mon Ante you're scaring the H*LL out of me.. :o
I noticed that the picture you attached is a maintainance-free type of battery..will the same thing happens to other type of battery??
Regards..

Rhonn ;) ;)

• 1 month later...

I was working on a full stick harvester, many years ago, and the Boss asked me to wiggle the battery terminal, as he was trying to start the harvester. I didn't realise that it was more than just a bad terminal contact. The whole terminal going into the battery was loose. It exploded in my face, the picture that ante posted, is very much what the battery looked like. It went off with a hell of a bang. We were in the middle of nowhere, and I had to run to the Ute to get the water to watch the acid of my face. I was very lucky, the only damage I suffered was ringing in my ears.

There is plenty of reason to be wary of a faulty battery, believe me :o.