Electronics-Lab.com Community

Differential amplifier question

I have a couple of basic questions related to a differential amplifiers. If these types of questions are better suited to the Theory Articles board, please let me know. :)

I want to amplify the voltage difference between a sensor (Vs) and a reference voltage (Vref). I only want to amplify this signal when there is a positive difference, i.e. Vref - Vs > 0. Otherwise, I want the output to be zero (ground). If I just connect a standard diode to the output of the amp, will this do the trick? Or, is there a better technique.

Another question. I've seen differential amplifiers called "Instrumentation Amplifiers" where the two imput signals are fed through voltage followers (or buffer amplifiers) before being feed to the differential amp. I have no common mode carrier signal to remove (they are both DC voltages). Is there any advantage to using this so-called instrumentation amplifier vs. a standard differential amp for my application? I have plenty of quad op-amps, so that's not a problem.

Last question. I want to calculate the average voltage coming from 3 or 4 different sensors. I know this can be done usign what is called a "passive averager" circuit (see below). This can also be done using a summing op-amp by selecting appropriate values of resistors. Is there any advantage to the op-amp approach?

03040.png

Thanks.

Darrin