Electronics-Lab.com Community

what do I need from a Lab Power Supply

westlc01

Hi,

I was told I need a hobby (I am sure some of you knowthe drill).. Anyhow I have taken up reading about electronics and have come to the stage that I should do something more than play around with a multimeter, breadboard and a few components, although this has been a great way to learn some basic priciples.

I have decided that i should build a decent bench power supply as I have worked out that it is probably one of the most fundamental and usefull pieces of equiptment I would use.

However when I search the net for a good design I am swamped with so many options.

I would love some advice as to what features I should look for in a power supply project . I would like it to meet both my current learning needs and meet future needs as I continue to learn.

A link to a suitable project would be great, but i also would like to know what you would look for in a good lab supply.

Cheers

westlc01,

Welcome to this forum.
My first advices for a power supply will be; find one with adjustable current limit! This feature will save you a lot of agony and it also let you charge batteries. Next advice depends on how much you want to spend building it.

Ante ::)