Electronics-Lab.com Community

Temp. Sensor

I have a TMP 100 temp. sensor, http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/TM/TMP100.shtml
and I have question relating to the applications the datasheet provides.
1. If you scroll down to page 5, it shows the application for the chip. I know what pins 4 and 2 are, but what are the other pins?
2. What chip are you supposed to use for the I2C controller? So would pins 1 and 6 be somewhat input pins? What does SCL and SDA stand for?
3. Why is there a capacitor in the schematic? Would it be so that is doesn't allow low frequencies to pass?
4. What are the purpose of pins 3 and 5 for? Examples?

quantum, this is all explained in the data sheet that you have posted a link. The address pins are set up so that you can connect multiple sensors to the same communication bus and you will know which sensor you are reading. The other two pins, SCL and SDA, are the serial transmission lines. This will directly communicate with a microprocessor through the I2C buss.
If you are just looking for a simple temp sensor with a voltage output that you can read, you might want to look at the data sheet for the LM34 and LM35.

MP