Electronics-Lab.com Community

Playing with hydrogen

Dazza

I am looking for methods of producing hydrogen from water. If anyone knows of any good sites please let me know. And also does anyone know of the best material to use for the electrodes that doesn't deteriorate. I have done some experiments with sulphuric acid dial looted with water and water with salt. Of course these combinations with the current is very corrosive. Its early days so any suggestions would be appreciated. And yes I plan to run my car on hydrogen.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinks harsh. That is the kind of information I am looking for. I don't think using electrolysis alone or with commonly used chemicals such as salt and sulphuric acid, Is going to produce the amount of hydrogen needed to run a car or generator. I think finding a chemical that isn't as corrosive and can increase the production of hydrogen, as well as be recycle will be a step in the right direction.
Thanks for your reply

You can also find info on this with a search for "fuel cells" on google.com since this is part of the process in a fuel cell.

There are also articles here on our site:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/files/HYDROGEN_POWER.pdf

and here:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/files/How_to_build_a_fuel_cell.pdf

MP

hey guys im intrested in this stuff to you will find some intresting stuff relateing to this in the j naudin site,on the net allso look up browns gas and you would allso find the aqua feul generator and the bingo feul generator in the j naudin webbsite intresting . to

I had a look at Naudins site, pretty amazing stuff. There is one thing I am confused about, what kind of material are the wires made off. If they where made of copper in this gauge and carrying over 80Amps :o they would go up in flames in a minute.

Ante ::)

That reminds me my old time in primary school............

I disassembled batteries and take out the graphite, connected two with supply and dipped into a cup of salt water......

I used test tube to fill with hydrogen and oxygen come out from the graphite....

My game is lite a match to make a pop sound.........

But the remains of water is dirty....... :P

im glad you like the j naudin site ante ,and all those intrested in hydrogen production and even free energy, and lifters, enjoy, go forth and make the world a better place. theres lots to lern and do. as for the electrodes, dont know how to get platinnum electrodes but there was some mention about tig or mig welder electrodes, as for the science exsperiment mentioned . i myself tried one years ago, useing a test tube i put lemon jiuce into it and a peace of iron from a transformer and some soldering wire and coper, the reaction made the lemon jiuce eventually buble out of the test tube then i held a match to it and it went pop and the foamy stuff disserpeard then ,

:)re theres different electrodes that could be used , i think that somehow , if you get the right one the best catalyst which ever one that may be to create the best or faster production of hydrogen, would be the way to go , or could the catalyst be something you can add to the water to get the best hydrogen production, who knows what the magical catalyst is if there is one, i tried useing the carbon rods method, but at the voltage i used at the time hydrogen and oxygen production was to slow , so it was a toss up , more current or a magic catalyst to really get those bubles moveing, as they are slow at dislodgeing from the carbon rods . but i did think that maybe sound waves could be used to vibrate those bubles from the carbon rods faster , alyhough the bubles are under water sound travels slow under water but faster through a gas. if ive got it worked out right. :)

• 2 months later...

Here is a working setup combined with solar
http://www.humboldt.edu/~serc/papers/SchatzSolarbroch_2003.pdf
and
http://www.humboldt.edu/~serc/solarh2cycle.html
also
http://www.fuelcells.org

has alot of useful links/info plus a forums with people interested in cell production.

*edit*
forgot this link http://www.humboldt.edu/~serc/stackinabox.html

has information on a portable fuelcell system that could be used in conjunction with say the bingo reactor. The system loads out 12VDC 110VAC inverted.

:) i just conducted a hydrogen production exsperiment useing a small plastic film can canister, and a diode yes diode , and some water and house hold electrolysed salt, now, on each side of the plastic film can i made a hole the diameter of the thick diode i used then i cut the diode in half exsposeing the metalic matierial at each half end then i inserted each half into each hole, then i sealed around each one with super glue, at first i used just the water and when i ran the postive diode half wire to the 12 volts lead acid cell battery positive terminal and the negative diode half wire to the battery negative i got bubles forming at the diode negative half but not the positive and there was activity of some kind at the negative metal end half of the diode as with my dome lense sitting on top of the plastic canister, i can view it easy this white fine bubles comeing up faster while the larger bubles that formed got bigger slowly then dislodged and drift half way across the water in the container, towards the positive diode half before poping, instead of going strait up , i then added the salt to it and the water went cloudy white and the activity of the fine bubles at the negative diode half, increased, and then the positive half diode started to do the same , and with the radio on down stairs i can still hear the bubles when i put my ears close to it, i then decided to try the flame and as i lifted up the dome lense and brought the lighter flame close i herd this puff like hydrogen igniting but it happend so fast i dident see the flame but the top half of the water above the negative diode half was coverd in a fine black stuff. and the metalic negative diode end was black to, which was easy to clean off with a cotton bud, the metalic ends of the diode halves was great at produceing this effect and with the house hold electrolysed salt together was like a catalyst in itself , i plan to double the amount of diode halfs for electrodes and run my high voltage charged up photo flash voltages through it next time . from my high voltage photo flash charged capacitors

post-876-14279141941165_thumb.jpg