Electronics-Lab.com Community

Playing with hydrogen

Dazza

:)ive just tried this exsperiment again this time i left it on my desk and under half an hour or less i went up to check it ,only to find the water with salt in it gone black so i put on my protection gogles and went outside and opened the lid that i put on it while it was on my desk, then i held the flame of my cigarette lighter near the opening and pop it went, so fast i dident see a thing not even the flame but it sure worked ill try it in the dark next time

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) ive just biult another plastic can type electrolysis exsperiment this time i used a fat 1n5408 diode for it i prepaird it the same way as before , the larger inner surface erea of the conductive matierial in it created more hydrogen and oxygen much faster after i set it all up and conected it to my battery for 7-8 miniutes i took it outside in the dark and removed a tiny blue tac that was covering the tiny vent hole i drilled at the top . the water in it was light black after 7 to 8 miniutes and i had eye gogles on for protection. outside i held it out at arms length and held a lite flame from my lighter close to the tiny hole at the top, in the dark when all of a sudden this loud bang, it happed so fast there was no sight of a flame or fire and yet i was still holding the canister with the diodes sticking out after the big bang, i dident even feel anything but the lid was gone, it should of poped of but it blew apart as i found a peace of it after i turned the outside light on. the light black colourd water was still in the canister i was holding

Sounds like you're having fun playing with hydrogen Steven ;D, you wont see a flame as hydrogen burns clear, this is one of the dangers of a hydrogen flame, you can't see it but you know it's there when it burns you :(. Hydrogen ignites violently although it is difficult to ignite as it is leaving the solution because hydrogen dissipates into the atmosphere very rapidly, this is one of the upside to hydrogen in respect to leakage.(there is a lot more hydrogen being produced then you may realise) If you want to ignite hydrogen with some pops and bangs and flashes at night I will give you one of my recipes 8).

For the electrodes use stainless steel, steal a couple of knives forks etc, from the kitchen. Do not sealed the container leave it open. Users sulphuric acid/battery acid as the catalyst, you'll have to experiment a bit to find a balance between, the electrodes spacing, the amount of catalyst and the amount of current voltage that you can supply. Purified water is best and don't let any other materials into the solution except for stainless steel, this way the solution will stay relatively clean. Once you have a good reaction happening with a steady flow of hydrogen and oxygen, add some dishwashing liquid the tiniest bit at a time, this will form Bubbles of hydrogen and oxygen that you can ignite with a flame, be sure to shield yourself from the solution when you do this, as acid may splash on you from the Bubbles as they ignite.

I use 12V and around 6A, it worked really well very loud bangs :o.

thankyou dazza we produced hydrogen in science class as for useing dish washing liuqiud to form the bubles and keep then contined ive seen that on tv years ago i think it was proffessor julius summer miller doing science demo s as for the acids i never used it except in the science lab back at high chool long time ago and hydrogen suposed to burn with a blue flame i think cant remember , its been such a long time ago, but produceing it with oxgen well it goes fast anyhow what do you think of my idea of useing diodes for electrodes , and the fact that the dislodgeing bubles drift across towards the other diode electrode in my exsperiments before poping instead of going up strait from the diode electrode, is that that normal and i used iodised salt saturated water which is not dangerous like acid , ive seen your posting of the power supply thing but cant remember if i looked at the schematic, ill have another look

her is the picture of the latest experiment i did last night, youll notice the really large diode i used as an electrode and the small plastic canister this one was used for containing the rubber gloves in the hair dyeing stuff my misses used to dye her hair with here in western australia, and in one of the pictures is the lid blown to peaces i put the remaining lid on to show the part thats missing

post-876-14279141943223_thumb.jpg

:) with the diode method useing them as electrodes, im working on an idea of useing more diodes for each side , useing the large diodes as i did in the last exsperiment , constructing this to be adjustable so i can move them closer together. as you mentioned dazza, ive got the bits from my dead gas powerd soldering ion to so ill use this to be able to get the hydrogen gas out througth the old gas soldering iron nozzel peace, once i biuld the membrane part to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen , theres info ive collected before on hydrogen production where the hydrogen and oxygen are separated, and this other method dosent use the car chamios for the embrane, so this would be ok. as for stainlless steel for an electrode, stainlless steel wool for scrubing pots and pans is cheap to get . and then for more voltage and current ill be lqatter trying , a charged up parralell photo flash capacitor bank to see the results if any,

:)in this picture is my latest prototype hydrogen oxygen generator, all made from pvc water pipes, the middle pipe is for the water input, the left pipe peace is for the hydrogen and the middle larger body section of that is the diode reacter chamber, as i call it although not completely finished i just have to drill the holes on each side of that chamber for the diode electrodes to go into. now the other chamber at the other end will produce the oxygen and have 2 lots of diode electrodes that are faceing each other to, now you would thing im makeing a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen in the both diode chambers but the final decision is which lots of diodes im useing ill use the positive half diodes on the left and negative half diodes on the right end of the whole prorotype, the rest of the diodes can be switched in, anytime id like a hydrogen oxygen mixture all together, ill be trying out a 330volts fully charged photoflash capacitors ,in parralel to see if i can get faster results in produceing this rocket feul

post-876-14279141953237_thumb.jpg

:) i allmost forgot . the top left and right pipe sections where the hydrogen and oxygen come out of from the diode chambers will have a balloon over each of the gass output pipes, so that when the oxygen and hydrogen leaves these output pipes the baloons will rise up and inflate to indicate that gass is being produced, the electronic method of powering this instead of useing just a 12 volts battery, ill get to that latter when ive completed the high voltage photo flash capacitor charger,

:)ante a diode electrode is a diode cut in half then each half is used as an electrode so the diode works good even in 2 halfs for assisting in the process of rocket feul separation from plain tap water , your in sweden ,arnt you closer the big nuclear pack , where the bangs are bigger and you need sunfacter 500 pluss lotion for the energy burns, if i doodle the diode setup instead of createing rocket feul i get clean hydrogen , or both depending on which diodes i use the funny thing is the water turns light black mostly on the top and mostly above one side of the container when i first tested it out and the big bubles instead of going up they move accross towards the other electrode but they rise up half way isent that odd , however the smaller bubles tiny ones all come strait up like that from an air stone in a fish tank , and i can hear them ok even with the radio on down stairs so i hope to improve it more and have it sound better than that of the bubles in lemonade

Hi Steven,

Oh, I see. Do you use plain tap water with no additives? Does it really conduct well enough to produce hydrogen? What voltages do you use and what current does it draw? What about the diode electrodes, do they corrode and disappear or can they withstand this for any length of time? Maybe the black stuff you get in the water is the result of corroding electrodes. It sounds very strange that bubbles could go sideways, like magic. ??? Yes we have nukepower here but they are very safe which could not be said for the Russians and eastern Europe plants which unfortunately isn

:) hello ante the pages are working for me now your sentance was so long i have to move the page left to right just to see it all, or for a bit of humour right out the side of my computer and onto my desk just to read it all, the diodes are ok the only black on top of the water would have to come from the black diode boddy and as for the electrode or what ever you call it silicon stuff if it is looks like black volcanic ash but it appears to be covering something metalic as i can see around the edges of it the diode body is holding out well and ill varnish it next time to see if i can stop the water getting lite black from whatever is in it, dazza thought id blow the pvc pipe setup to bits but i aint gona be igniteing it all mixed up not even in the open end that aint conceild to be able to make big bangs, the idea of useing just the hydrogen would do for the time being , im not ready to get back into my old intrest in rockets just yet so im phocusing on the the hydrogen use

:) my hydrogen oxygen generator setup is similiar to these ones im useing spit diodes for electrodes the other ones in these pictures uses stainlless steell wooll and its e shaped like mine i made mine from all from 2 pvc pipes, a thin one and part of a large diameter one. the one in the pictures is made up of elbow jionts etc etc which i couldent find the right parts to make this,

post-876-1427914195626_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:)in these pictures is the finished hydrogen oxygen separator as ill call it , so the positive half diodes are in one chamber and the negative half in the other chamber , i can still add more diodes or if i like i could do it in a way as to produce them as a mixture but it would be exsplosive so ill leave it as it is

post-876-14279141966013_thumb.jpg

dazza ill be doing that some clear hose just above the chambers to so if i over fill it the water will run out and ill use those little plastic taps to shut it off so the gass wont come out i can put some windows in the chambers to view the bubles to , those plastic lenses from old cameras are usefull to and ive got them around to ,the top of the outlet pipes i can seal them and put plastic valve taps there to ,the same ones you use for the air hose to air stone in fish tanks , at least the gas will be more concentrated when comeing out of the outlet pipes and from there i can channel it through more plastic tube ,or just a rubber tube and to the brass nozel peace from my dead gas powerd soldering iron, allso im planing to try powering it from my high voltage photo flash capacitor charger as even with one capacitor is good and 2 in parralell much better so ill see if i can get more gas output at a faster rate if possible,