Electronics-Lab.com Community

22 Watt Amplifier

cdonke

Hi Cdonke,
22W (that's with 10% of awful sounding distortion, it is 15W at clipping) per channel into 4 ohms is what most "ordinary" car radios provide. That is also the same power that a 200W (10% distortion, peak or maximum power, 4 channels total) car system provides.
It certainly isn't the high power that your speakers are rated for.

Don't your 200W speakers already have an amplifier? You can't connect this new amplifier without disconnecting the existing amplifier.

Instead of adding this new amplifier and switching the speakers to each amplifier, why don't you just feed your discman to the exising amplifier? Make a simple additional input for the existing amplifier if it needs one.

Hi Cdonke,
Of course you have another amplifier for the speakers, it's in your stereo!
Like I said before, "You can't connect this new amplifier without disconnecting the existing amplifier", with a switch.
When you connect amplifier outputs together, the one that is not being used will say, "My feedback tells me that something is happening on my output, but my input is zero. So I will use my full power to make the output also zero". Poof!
Even if the other amplifier is turned off, the one in-use will feed power backwards into it. Again, poof!
Maybe only one amplifier will blow-up, or maybe both.

Why don't you buy a stereo RF modulator that is made exactly for your application? Sony make a good one. It will transmit your discman for a short range to your FM stereo.

Hi Christiano,
Our simple little FM transmitter project is really just a toy:
1) Its carrier frequency will drift all over the place. Sony's is probably frequency-synthesized using an accurate crystal.
2) It doesn't have audio pre-emphasis, so on an FM radio it will sound something like an AM radio, or like a stereo with its treble control turned all the way down.
3) It is not stereo. I have never seen an FM stereo transmitter kit or do-it-yourself project (very complicated).

Hello Members,
Has anyone seen a good FM stereo transmitter kit or do-it-yourself project for Christiano?