Electronics-Lab.com Community

oscope to tv

absolution

Hi Absolution,
I have done it and it worked well. I don't know about yours, but my country uses the simple NTSC television standard. If yours is PAL or SECAM, then it will be a lot of trouble.
Of course I used the tuner and sync separator from a TV.
Do you want to make almost a whole TV that is minus its high voltage stage and picture tube? Good luck!
If you are colour-blind, then you'll like it.

Hi Absolution
That's right, the 'scope's picture wasn't very bright since its tiny dot must "paint" the whole screen. It was much brighter when I made the picture smaller.
I used a constant current source transistor instead of a simple resistor for the vertical sweep, and the picture was perfectly linear.
The z-axis input on my 'scope is linear, not just on-and-off (for blanking), so it produced all shades of grey. I mixed in a higher-voltage blanking pulse to the video at the z-axis input so that retrace (beam returns to the left side) lines were not visible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ante,
How's your prize UV LED? Did it give you a nice tan?
Mine is still on backorder. I'm glad that I didn't swim to Greece to try and get it.

Your author's images are fuzzy because the bandwidth of his TL082s video amp buffer and inverter is only 100KHz. Video needs at least 40 times higher (4MHz) so I connected the wide-bandwidth probe of my 'scope to a high-current emitter-follower (to drive the probe's cable capacitance) that I mounted at the TV's detector. My images were very clear.

Like that one, I also used a linear current source to charge the capacitor of the vertical sweep generator but I used my 'scope's own horizontal sweep, triggered from the sync pulse.

Hi Audioguru,

No tan so far, but a swim to Greece would have given you a tan for sure! I have been there; Greece is fantastic, very nice people and good food unlike the French. Of curse there are room for improvement in these circuits but its something to start with don