Electronics-Lab.com Community

Make a Microwave oven on a small-scale

Dazza

My understanding is that a magnetron behaves electrically like a diode. have you ever tried to construct a single diode voltage doubler? I could be proven wrong but I have a feeling that that it would be impossible. I believe the magnetron acts as the second diode in the voltage doubler circuit in the microwave, as long as the voltage across the magnetron remains above it

Hi, Alum, Ante

Thanks for the info and comments Alum :), yes of course sonar ::). Yes salt does increase the hydrogen production, but using such additives only creates other problems in my project, which is the reason why I'm trying to find an alternative solution, if I can at least find a way to reduce the amount of additive needed , I think it would be worth trying. Yes I think using a VCO chip and a power amplifier module would be a good place to start, for an amateur like me :).

Does anyone know of a suitable VCO chip.

This is an interesting experiment to try, boil a cup of water in a microwave, then try to boil it again,it wont boil ???. It's a strange thing which I haven't tried to find out why yet.

VARIAC Is this a variable voltage transformer?

Sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy lately :P.

Dazza, I've had a search and I havent been able to find any easy to build microwave VCO chips. :( perhaps I just haven't looked in the right places.

Does anyone else know where to look?

VARIAC Is this a variable voltage transformer?

Yes.

This is an interesting experiment to try, boil a cup of water in a microwave, then try to boil it again,it wont boil ???. It's a strange thing which I haven't tried to find out why yet.

Water can be super-heated, meaning that given the right conditions it can be taken above its normal boiling point without actually boiling. Normally when you boil water you heat it from the bottom and convection currents are formed, these are responsible for distributing the head evenly throughout the liquid. Water becomes super-heated when you heat it when it

Hi Alum,

Thanks for the explanation :), and the safety warning very interesting.

I met a guy up north recently when I was on holidays, he was working on a project that involved using microwaves to super heat water to drive a combustion engine. He tried to explain to me how he produced the microwave energy, Well most of what he said went straight over the top of my head :P, I do remember he said that he used (phase lock loop) to achieve the high frequency. I was very surprised when he told me he used commonly available components.

• 1 year later...

:)hello dazza have you tried spiceing up the water with hydrogen peroxide that would give you more hydrogen and oxygen atoms then , for your hydrogen  production , have you tried my silicon diode method for the electrodes  yet  ill get back into it soon , when i start work on my diode reactor chamber , the gas then would implode and not exsplode,  like the browns gass,

• 1 month later...

Hi, Steven :D

I haven't done any hydrogen experiments for quite a while, I haven't been able to do much of any think since Ethan was born, just getting a full nights sleep is a rare thing these days :-\.  He is almost seven months old, and he still wants his three hourly feeds through the night :o.

I'm still trying to find the time to finish a few other projects, that will support my hydrogen project, I'll get there eventually ;), I hope ;D.

• 3 months later...