Electronics-Lab.com Community

AC Generator, Expert insight needed please

Kennymadscience

Hi all..
AC Generator Question, Expert insight needed please..

I have a horizontal shaft with lets say, unlimited amounts of work
potential (horsepower) that can be extracted from it, like a water wheel,
and radiant energy source (really works)..

Question , what is the best way to power my home from it as the primary
power source, without a battery backup system. As I will have other
horizontal shaft with backup power from other sources (day and night, regardless of weather), so no need for
battery backup systems..

Lets say this horizontal work shaft turns at 2000 RPM after gearing ratio
applied to it. And that I have very hi quality bearings. How about hooking up 4-5 HIGH OUTPUT voltage (110/120 Volts) alternators connected to the one horizontal shaft thru belts or gear/sprocket and then wiring the
output in parallel. That could be along the lines of 110/120 VAC at a
combined 500-600 Amps out at 2000RPM. To equal 6,000-7,200 Watt System, more than
enough for my house. Or any other suggestions?

Where do I go from there, directly to an inverter large enough to handle
that kind of power? Then directly to the circuit breaker? Or, multiple inverters with one way diodes wired to the main circuit box?
I have the input horsepower shaft , but not sure what would be the best way
to power my home from there? Any suggestions for ease in maintenance and longevity?
Thanks. Ken

You will still need a way to regulate this source and to clean it up. The alternators are not going to give you a clean source of energy. How much voltage do you get from your alternators? What is the frequency of the signal on the output? These parameters will have to be converted to a clean source. This is why you usually see these connected to a regulator and a battery. Then the battery supplies an inverter to give you a clean AC source. You cannot skip this step with many forms of energy, but you can with a generator. You just have to come up with the filtering. The filtering will depend upon what you have coming out of your setup.

MP

In windmill generators, constant speed gearboxes are used. They act like mechanical regulators for speed. If you can get hold of one of these, you can produce a clean signal with exact frequency. Insted of going in for multiple alternators, you should have one big alternator giving high voltage output which can be stepped down to whatever voltage you need. It would be hard to synchronise the alternators & run them in parallel. why would you need an inverter when you are getting AC directly.