Electronics-Lab.com Community

spinning power supply

I need to find or design a dc generator of sorts that will generate energy when spun in a circle. It will be fixed to a rotating object. I need to have power at the center of the rotating object but cannot have a cord or wire as the piece needs to stay mobile. A switch with a battery is not an option as the continuous replacement of the batteries would be very impractical. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Dino

Hi

You could use a rotating transformer salvaged from the head assembly of an old VCR. You could feed the primary with a 250Kc power square-wave and rectify the secondary output with Schottky diodes. I guess you'd be able to transfer a fair amount of watts in this way.

Dino,

I was thinking something like what I have seen on bicycles where they put two coils on the inside of the front wheel fork near the rim. Then there are small magnets on the rim with even intervals. This supplies the front and rear lights with power. It should be possible to produce power with the coils in the rotating part and have some magnets fixed close to the path of the coils. Since I don