Electronics-Lab.com Community

I need a push button switch

surefire99

Radio Shack didn't have exactly what I need. But this is fairly close

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F002&product%5Fid=275%2D644

a momentary switch. but i want the circuit to be closed normally and open when your holding it down.

something low profile and black is prefered. 3/8" - 1/2" mounting hole. an LED would be cool too but no neccessary.

my search of the web has led me here. :)

thanks. that would work, but i was hoping for something a little less tacky as it will be mounted on my car dashboard.

I found this one but i'm not sure if its rating is good enough for what I need. (i'm no electrical wiz)

http://www.switchcraft.com/products/switch-265a.html

rating: Ratings: 250 mA, 30 W maximum, AC, non-inductive load.

Its going to be connected to a +12VDC line to my cars stereo. worst case senerio my car blows up... right?

i have a 2002 nissan altima that has an auxiallary input in the back of the factory stereo. a special adapter is needed and it needs to be spliced to the +12V line. i've already done that, i just need a switch for it. i don't think the 12V's actually powers anything i think it just tells the radio to enable the AUX Function.

thanks for all your help so far!

Hello surefire99

When you power the 12V aux-line the stereo only enabled the aux function and others functions are disabled, like FM tunner, cd player etc?

if not, you can connect the 12V aux direct to the "ignition power in" of the stereo.

no i doesn't dissable the other functions, if you press the CD player button it will switch to a CD even if power is still connected to the AUX line.

thats pretty much my problem with the switch. the switch that came with it is a push-on/push-off button. when i push it on its fine but if i switch to CD player and want to get back to AUX i have to push the switch twice, once to disconnect and one to repower. Plus the switch is ugly.

it will work the way i want if i get a normally closed momentary switch. i just want one that looks nice and has a good enough rating. i don't know how an AC rating translates into a DC rating.

surefire99, you can make what you want with a relay and a microswitch....... the parts you need are like:

Relay: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=121825

Push Button: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=122041

I found the relay schematic and make a circuit with the relay and the push button. You can find it in the attachment.

You need to make some test to the push button to find where are the pins that make short circuit when you push the button (you can make it with a Multimeter) because, I make the circuit to cutoff the power when you press the button

• 4 months later...

:)if you need a push button switch try the old dipper switch they used to be on the floor of many cars and you push them to dip your head lights, i myself was gona use one to kill the coil circuit in my car  as a coil kill switch,  so my car engine would just stall and the car would just roll , the idea of this came to mind when a wire came off my ignition coil and the engine went dead and the car rolled.

Hi Steven,
Do you kill the engine and coast downhill to save gas?  ;D
I had a car with a governor that would kill the engine when the car went faster than its tire rating. I didn't know about it until I was passing, and a big truck was coming at me!
I don't know if my new car has a governor. It's too new for the strain of top speed.