Electronics-Lab.com Community

Triac help

Adam850

I am trying to use a triac to replace a broken relay in a circuit I made. A 555 is setup to flash on and off about every second. The positive pulses go to a relay, which controls a 60W 120VAC light bulb. I have bought a triac to replace the relay, but I don't exactly know how to use it.
Relay:
Coil: SPST 12 volt, 20mA, 250 ohm
Contacts 0.5A @ 125 VAC
Triac:
VRRM: 300V
ITRMS: 4A Max
IGT(I & III) 30 mA Max
VGT 2.5 V Max
IH 30 mA Min

How can I use this triac?
P.S.
Do I need to heat sink it?

Adam,

Not so fast! If you look at the datasheet you see that you need a few more parts to make it work. First a series resistor for the input (or you blow the led inside). And also a snubber circuit to help the triac get the correct gate current and such you can see an example of this on page 4.

Adam,

The filament is not very inductive, consider it as an resistive load. You can omit the extra gate at pin 2 just connect pin 2 to neg on your timer circuit. The capacitor should be rated 250VAC. I understand why your relay is broken, a one second on off time will kill any relay quite fast. This new circuit will not be worn out.