Electronics-Lab.com Community

random select

I want to make a game with leds; there must be 8x8 led and I want to flash only one led at a time and this process must go on forward not turn back;
this is the problem how will I flash one led randomly in eight led without using microcontroller or microprocessor only using simple logic integrated circuits like counters,registers etc.

note:please replay only randomizing problem because the rest of the game is very simple.

Guest Yevgenip

You can't get a random selection, but you can get a semi-random selection. I think you can eather build a logic circuit that workes with a chaos-generating formula (like x=rx(1-x) ) (Post me for more details on chaos formulas) or use a flip-flop and bring to superposition and activate a timer with the output of the fliplop.

Yevgeni.

Hi

A frequently used solution for this type of problem is a fast, free-running counter (either in hard or soft form) that is read when you need your random number. Although it isn't a true random number generator, it is generally sufficient because the statistical repartition is OK and you have no way of knowing or influencing what the next number will be.
Lou

Guest Yevgenip

That's a good idea, but I'll add something to that:
Use two counters, each one in a different rate and/or a different phase and when you stop them, make a logic operation between the outputs. I think it's more random than one counter.

• 2 weeks later...

:)leds to flash one after another youll have light chasser and by shorting the electro by taping to each side of that electro with 2 wires and runing it to a push button then you can stop the leds in there tracks, you can add numbers to every led and use it to pick your lotto to . if this is any help to you