Electronics-Lab.com Community

Newbie question on terminology

McLachran

Thanks very much, everyone.

I have another one (and it looks like I'll have tons more). Not sure if I should post it here though. Probably it's better idea to create a new topic... ???
Anyhow, here it is, where to find basic description of components? I mean function, purpose, basic schemes how to use, etc.
I.e. what is "latch"? How it works? Where, when and what for should I use it? Or what for and when should I use "octal 3-state transmitter/receiver" like 74CT244? What is "3-state" (I suppose 0, 1, Z)?
I'm trying to create some device on DSP, but when I look on schematics, I don't understrand lots of things, so I have to learn it, therefore I need you help.
I have some knowledge, but it's waaay too outdated and basic.

Thank you in advance,
Any info like web-links, book, or just "directions" where to start/look whould be very useful.

Hi kevin,
What is the difference between an open circuit and a 3 state?Suppose I have a memory device with tri state I/o buffers.If I tristate output buffers (which may be having valid voltage levels on their I/O pins corresponding to data from a previous read but not producing current)and enable input buffers for writing,then the data I put on the bus would cause contention resulting garbage written to the selected location.
What is the voltage of a 'Z' state?Does it correspond to logic1/logic0 or any other?Why do they show a horizontal line at the center of the waveform if it can be any open circuit voltage?
Regards
-shekhar

shekhar,
Tri-state refers to a feature of some digital devices which allow a connector (pin) to either act as a normal output, drive a signal onto a line, or to be "tri stated" which is setting it to a high-impedance ("high Z") condition. This allows other outputs to drive signals onto the same line. Often the same connector in a circuit will also function as an input when its output circuitry is tri-stated.

Tri-state outputs are typically used for the connection of several digital circuits to a shared bus where any one of them may output data for the others to input.

MP