Electronics-Lab.com Community

Bass-boost

Mukhalled

Hi Mukhalled,
That amp has built-in feedback so you can't change it to give bass-boost. You must add a boost circuit to its input.

Over the years I built 2 audio amps with bass-boost that I use at the beach. They both use a 2nd-order Sallen and Key high-pass filter at the input of each amp that were over-damped to give bass-boost at their cutoff frequency, then a rapid cutoff of lower frequencies the speakers couldn't produce which would have caused wasted power. They sound pretty good with small speakers (which I also souped-up). ;D

I souped-up my clock radio with a very improved but not expensive 3" speaker and made an amp with up to 20dB (10 times the voltage) bass-boost. I fed an attenuated bass-boosted signal to the lowest terminal on its volume control for maximum boost at low levels. Then I fed a flat signal to a tap on its volume control so louder volume didn't cause overload due to boost. Turning up the volume gradually reduces the boost.
Visitors wonder, "Where's the sub-woofer?".
It sounds awesome for a little clock radio. ;D