Electronics-Lab.com Community

"Safe" 5000 V

Guest Yevgenip

Yes, thats true, if you design a high voltage power supply with a high internal impedance then the output current will be too low to kill. For example if a 5KV supply has an internal impedance of 5M then the closed circuit current will be only 1mA

ok back on topic,

I don't consider Tesla coils a safe source of HV, Van de graff generators are.

You can make also safe HV source by driving a fly-back transformer at 10KHz and conecting the output via a high voltage capacitor to limit the current.

Anyone knows what dragon ball Z is? I thought about making two gloves that will fire sparks from one to another, but was scared I might kill some one.

As I said in my previous post, if you limited the current to a safe level you wouldn't cause any injury or death. Never the less I don't think you're glove idea is any good because the insulation on the gloves would have to be very thick to stop the electricity passing through the wearer.

• 11 months later...

Let's do some calculation: to make a spark between the two gloves, let's say they are 0.5 meters apart from each other, since dry air discharge break voltage is 3MV per meter, you need a 1.5MV = 1500 V (DC voltage) between your hands. I wouldn't play so close to it. Besides 5000 V seems to me extremely exagerated to obtain the spark.

regards

Let's do some calculation: to make a spark between the two gloves, let's say they are 0.5 meters apart from each other, since dry air discharge break voltage is 3MV per meter, you need a 1.5MV = 1500 V (DC voltage) between your hands. I wouldn't play so close to it. Besides 5000 V seems to me extremely exagerated to obtain the spark.

regards

Half of 3 million volts is 1.5 million volts, isn't it?
It isn't exaggerated. There is a link on another post to a 1 million volts DC thingy that produces arcs Four Feet Long! It uses four TV flyback transformers in parallel to power its voltage multipliers. I don't think anyone wants to be anywhere near it.