Electronics-Lab.com Community

Hello Newbie questions

terramir

Hi guys I'm an advanced computer builder, but I got the small problem in electronics I'm a complete and utter novice, I want to learn how to program and design curcuits based on pic processors, but there are so many factors to consider, I really need some recomendations on how to learn this stuff from the ground up and fairly quickly, I know what a resistor is as well as some of the other basic componets (transistor, variable resistor capacitor etc.) but I need some links to websites that will give me all I really need to knowone step at a time I'm fairly smart and pic up on things fairly quickly. My biggest problem is that I have no money to spare at the current moment, except for a few bucks here and there so I am looking for web sites and stuff to really learn the basics to advanced stuff.
terramir

well I needed to build some li-ion chargers, I got the cells and well I got some surface mount Grrrr :'( darn chips (samples so no big loss),
I looked at them and unless I spend like 150 bucks it's not realizable.
for the adapter for the prototyping and then well afterwards to have then throw on a mask to make the pcb's, so I thought I go the more elegant route and start designing my own charger the cells as long as they get a stable input charge themselves the charger for Li-ion is just a security precaution. my cells are 4.1V max and I want to build 12 yeah 14.4 nominal 16.4V max I got 50 cells fairly cheap just 50 bucks and I think once I get the circuitry down pat it will be fairly easy to design and build the packs.
But now I have to get away from plug and play electronics and program my own pics and stuff I started this as a solar project I built three panels And still have cells for two more. All of them are not being used right now
36 cell panels 18V open voltage up to 3 amp short circuit current. well I got more nimh and li-ion that I know what to do with it was a neat idea, but now the only problem I have is that with the different chemistries and about 10 AH worth of gel cells as well total about 35 Ah's to be upgraded as needed. the panels could produce much more but I live in an apartment and there not on the roof they are in my windows.
got enough power as soon as I hang the three back up I don't have an intelligent system to switch the power from the solar panels depending on time of day well actually power output from the solar panels I want to design the system based on PIC's because:

A: they are really cheap

B: the are so versatile that I can do everything with like 20 chips that includes a central console that will tell be exactly how much power is in everything at the current moment.
this way I won't be wasting power or cells because I can even inteligently discharge them using the more fragile gel cells only for heavy loads, discharging the li-ion's to 40% charge(40% is the value that keeps li-ion's alive forever otherwise they destroy themselves after three years) during low power (sun) phases and relying during those times on the nimh banks, which are the cheapest to replace and upgrade. this all can be done cheaply and reliably with PIC's but I hit snags at every turn, I want to use the li-ion cells for my model airplane and to power various other portable projects as well so I need those pic's more than anything else.

I need to learn the basic circuits I need to design for the voltage and ammeters that I need the PICs to have with the built in D/A convertors, it is supposed to be fairly simple to make internal ammeters and voltage meters for the battery packs.
while observing the Li-ion discharge curves I can even calculate what percentages are left in the cells I can even somehow design a subroutine (software-wise that will keep track of the battery useful capacity) the software stuff is all good I wrote the mock code already all I have to do is learn the actual syntax which is not a problem, my problem is to design the other basic circuits so I have voltage meters and two ammeters. and the switches to switch between four measuring points for one ammeter and one voltage meter. This is why I need to learn all this stuff from the ground up.
plug and play won't do this time. I have all the data needed on my battery chemistries, Li-ion are the simple ones actually the PIC's just need to be in there for safety (LI-ION are easy as long as there not overcharged or short circuited and all cells have an equal charge) you short or overcharge those babies you can have quite a mess on your hands (talk about bang) :o
please help
terramir