Electronics-Lab.com Community

CMOS Question

If you're talking about digital ICs then you'd have the advantage of wider operating voltage ranges, greater noise immunity (as compared to TTL), and lower power consumption. I really don't know if, given the types of circuits you build, those characteristics would be of any benefit.

Some folks find designing with CMOS ICs to be problematic, and still prefer working with TTL devices--but I've met very few of those.

I'm still not sure what kind of devices you're talking about, because 'CMOS' (Complimentary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor), per se, is a device construction style/technique/process/method (whatever is most meaningful to you) for a wide range of devices.
Your question is roughly analogous to asking, after returning from the auto showroom, if you should buy a uni-body car; to which I would reply, "What kind of car do you need?"

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for the awnser. well they say Cmoses (or atleast for computers) are like memory they hold HD setting etc. so when i saw these i was wondering more along the lines of if they are the same type. so i decided to ask. when i realized there are different ones for different purposes i figured the ones in radioshack are those types. so what my question really is, What do i do with CMOS to make it work? becuase once i know what it actually does (does it store current for triggering, is it a filter) i know what i can interface it with to give me a result. aanyway thankx for the respone.

Hi, Yes, CMOS Comes in a variety of packages and functions for different purposes... CMOS type devices are known for there low power consuption for small devices etc. and are very sensitive to Static Electricity..

If you are somewhat familiar with TTL type components, then CMOS are somewhat comparable to your knowledge of TTL with the exception of adavantages of low power and other factors.

If you are not Familiar with TTL design and operation, then you are puting the chariot before the horse and should first possibly get more knowledged on how these devices work, and then CMOS will be a bit more understanding to your project.

There are plenty of References on these devices and their operations on this Forum's Links and the Internet Abroad, try that and I'll bet it will help your request on CMOS operations and functions... 8)