Electronics-Lab.com Community

Neon flashes with the music

Sure, just step-up the voltage with a transformer. A cheap, small audio transformer that has a 1K primary and an 8 ohm secondary will work if you connect the 1K terminals to the neon bulb (you may also need a current-limiting resisor in series with the bulb) and the 8 ohm terminals to the speaker output of a radio or amplifier.

You can also try touching the 1K terminals with one hand to get some small jolts with the music.!

Audioguru was right about the connections, 8ohm on the input and 1K to the neon lamp.

Also the output is probably too low to flash a the neon lamp, you could connect the output to a small amplifier then connect that to the audio transformer.

The TDA7052 is a good monolithic audio amp chip that is suited to this application attached is the data sheet.

PH_TDA7052.pdf

I could do but I don't think a tiny neon lamp would drani the battery too much. The datasheet says 1.2W into and 8ohm load with a 6V supply. Although the audio transformer has a primary impedance of 8ohms when connected to a 1K load if it were connected to a higher impedance, say a neon lamp with a series resistor (I would recomend 47K) its impedance would be a lot higher thus resulting in much lower power consumption.

The neon light bulb won't use much power but the little transformer that is used backwards will probably overload the amp and battery at low frequencies where its 8 ohm winding has poor coupling with the core that is too small. The 8 ohm winding will be like a dead short to the amp at low frequencies.
Just filter out the low frequencies? Then the neon won't show the beat. ;D