Electronics-Lab.com Community

Glue vs. Silicone

autir

On several PCBs I have observed that some components are glued together. I want to do the same in a circuit of mine which will be installed outdoors: nothing but four RJ-45 female connectors soldered on a veroboard. I want to do this in order to insulate the wires from moisture and weather effects in general. I own a 11mm hot melt glue gun. Which substance should I use, glue or silicone? Why?

For DC through audio circuits, you can use hot-melt glue without problems.

For RF circuits, or circuits that use switched-DC that approximates RF frequency rates, use GE Silicone Sealer.

The reason being that hot-melt glue, while possessing excellent insulating properties at low frequencies, is not certified for use at radio frequencies.
Some brands of silicone sealer will actually appear as a dead short at frequencies approaching those of the 11 meter band. This is why I specify 'GE brand' silicone Sealer. It has been shown to possess superior dielectric qualities at the switching frequencies involved with 10-100 Mb/s network connections.

Before opening this thread I had already glued such a circuit using hot melt glue which smelled like vinegar ;D
Unlucky me...
I guess I have to throw the circuit away and create a new one?
What other "ammunition" can a hot melt glue gun receive, besides glue and silicone?