Electronics-Lab.com Community

DC/DC Converter

Hi all,

I'm new here, but from the reading of the other threads, I found that this forum may provide a solution to the problems I face now.

Anyway, I am tasked to design n build a DC/DC converter as the topic suggests......The input voltage is a transient voltage of 110V DC (transient at +-40%), and the intended output is either a 5V or 12V DC.

I have been surfing around alot for info, and found that some designs use transformers and some dun.....please advice on which design and lay-out would be suitable.

Errr kinda long for a first post.... :-X

what you'd need is smps step down design however this network
requires a control ic (most do these days) do a search with
the following keywords:smps stepdown circuit or smps stepdown
application notes,-- most semiconductor manufacturers will have this
information on their websites

Hi Twiddle,
Welcome to our forum.
Perhaps your post isn't long enough. It is easy to make a voltage-reducer that doesn't have any load current.

Hmmmm I will try to get more details and post again, and hey cool forums here~ 8)

• 8 months later...

A buck converter would be VERY hard to do!!! With a 5 volt output, and a nominal input of 110VDC that's a 4.5% duty cycle (plus a little for losses) and at 160VDC in it's 3.1%. Such small duty cycles are hard because of the speed at which you'd have to switch the swtching elements to keep the rest of the components relatively small.

For a flyback, the leakage inductance spikes on the primary switching element could be a problem with a poorly wound coupled inductor.