Electronics-Lab.com Community

perfboards

Codyhtml

Hi Cody,
I use a copy of Veroboard, also called stripboard. It has printed strips of copper paths in one direction that are cut with a knife or drill-bit. Half of a pcb is already done and the components and some jumper wires make the rest of the wiring. It is perf board so the holes are already drilled.
I use grid-lined-paper to plan the components, jumpers and cuts placements.

post-1706-14279142177332_thumb.jpg

Hi Prateek,
I don't know what you can buy commercially over there, but in North America a breadboard usually looks like this one. It has terminals for a power supply, and consists of many groups of 5 sockets connected in rows.
ICs, transistors, resistors, caps and millions of jumper wires plug-in to the sockets to create a circuit. I tried using one only once, ended-up with a big mess, and have used Veroboard instead ever since.

post-1706-14279142179522_thumb.jpg

I think that breadboard is the best for prototyping, because you can change everything in a minute without desoldering anything etc. Yes you might have many wires (look like spagetti.. :P) but if you want to test something it is very useful.

I use breadboard in all my electronics education, and keep going.

PS Of course it is useless for final constructions and very costly

ok thanks but for the project i started i'll have to find a way yse a perf bord just have tons of holes and a little coper "O" around the ring

Yeah there are no connections on the board, those are just places to solder your component leads.

What you do is place the two wires in two holes close to each other, and make a solder bridge, or just bend one of the wires over a little to make it easier. And if they arent close then you can use some wire on top of the board to connect two points.

Here is the only decent example picture I could find:

I think the only reason hes using the large copper wires below is the power in the circuit. Not needed on normal boards.

btw I use these boards a lot, its very easy to wire up a schematic.

With Veroboard I find it easy to change the circuit around or just to change the value of a part because it is like a pcb, each part has its own hole. It is easy also because my solder-sucker works very well and my temp-controlled soldering iron doesn't ruin the printed copper strips.

hi audioguru!
the breadboard u have shown is exactly the same i have seen here.in this
5 slots in a column are shorted i guess.But in india i have seen boards with one component side and one solder side(not a PCB).But just like  a PCB.
WE HAVE SMALL SLOTS OF COPPER AROUND ON SOLDER SIDE.THEY CALL IT ZERO PURPOSE OR GENERAL PURPOSE PCB.SOME DEALERS CALL IT BREADBORD TOO!!!!
THATS WHY I WAS CONFUSED.... ;)
PRATEEK

• 2 weeks later...

I know what the original poster is talking about, in fact, I'm soldering some components onto the same kind of board. This board is the same as stripboard except there are no connections at all, only round brass pads at each perforation. I don't knowif I'm doing it correctly, but I'm connecting points with a jumper wire and making solder bridges between some gaps with a small piece of wire.

yes that is what i have and yes i do believe your doing it correctly i figured that that must be about the only way and my theroy was proved correct by you and japroach and i found that that kind of board would only be good for projects that you arnt trying to test as all your jumpers would keep allling out but for projects that are proven to work with out moding it and that are simple it is fine thanks