Electronics-Lab.com Community

new idea.. help~~

hi all,

i currently helping my friend to write a program which can differentiate male voice and female voice.. i just want to ask what is the proper way to differentiate it?

we are using MATLAB wavelet toolbox and neural network.. we already have enough male and female sample but still hard to differentiate accurately..

hi all again,

because my tutor saw my interest in this project so he ask me to do speech recognition.. i.e if i speak'play' - the word 'play' will come out from the program.. of course it works for certain words that is preloaded.. any ideas? thx

hi birdbird!
your project seems to be interesting but the thing to know is that why is your system responding to a few words only.I saw a similar project on another site(i cannot recall its name),i have seen the same project in  a book on artificial intelligence. All sources say that the only factor to distinguish any 2 types of voices is their wavelength.But i am surprised why is your software responding to a few words,can i have the circuit for your project?Actually i wish to see the code(it must be a digital code)for the voice which you are sending through a computer port into your MATLAB platform.Awaiting early reply!
prateek

it did not contain any circuit.. just program.. example when i speak out the word 'play', the play word occur ( preloaded with sample).. of course it only works with my voice.. i must start from the bottom because i have no knowledge in signal processing.. after i have done it, i will further to detect other people voice.. can help?

hi birdbird!
what i can make out of it is that your software takes in your sound only and displays it on your screen(the word u spoke)but there would be some channel along which your voice is flowing!
may it be a computer port or a peripheral device like a microphone,but i again revert to the same point.u can identify male and female voice only with its frequency and nothing else.Female voice is generally of higher frequency.
How are u communicating your voice to computer?and how is it converting to text back?
prateek

Hi birdbird,

can I suggest a very good starting point for you, which is to read a book call "Who is Fourier?" (ISBN 0-9643504-0-8) which is an introduction to Fourier transforms but more importantly builds up to an understanding of the subject based on the differences between sounds.

Best of Luck

Ed