Electronics-Lab.com Community

DC MOTOR SPEED CONTROLLER

My grandson was born with an abnormally developed "X" gene. I believe he inherited the condition from his father who seems to enjoy anything a reasonable person would run from.

In the interest of safety and my blood pressure, I'm looking for DC motor speed controller. Specifically, I need to limit the output of a 24 volt motor on a razor pocket bike. I was looking at this kit, http://electronickits.com/kit/complete/motor/ck1400.htm but I'm not sure it will work. Will this do the job ? Does it need a separate power supply?

HELP!!

racerx.jpg

Hi mb9,

Wellcome to this forum.

The kit you found will run both itself and the motor from the same power source (battery) with no problem. I am not familiar with the razor pocket bike so I don’t know the maximum current draw for the motor though. The circuit can handle 5 A maximum on the pcb supplied with the kit.

Best regards.

Guest Alun

Sorry Ante, I was going on the information given here:http://electronickits.com/kit/complete/motor/ck1400.htm

You're right, I've also checked the capacitors andthey're rated to 63V, so this would be fine to run of 24V.

It's an interesting circuit, I haven't seen a PWM controller with an H-bridge driver to reverse the motor before.

The page on the site says it will work with motors up to 100V, but I assume you need a separate power supply for the motor.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alun

It's not that simple Ante, Q3 and Q5 need the gate voltage to be near the source voltage to turn off properly, and as the sources are connected to +V running the comparators of a lower voltage will cause the transistors to remain on all the time.

Hi Alun,

I know that, but it depends on how much the voltage has to be lowered. Anyway it’s a stupid point to discuss since mb9 was going to use it for 24Volts so I don’t know why I even mentioned it! Back to square one, I still say this circuit works!

Guest Alun

Hi Alun,

I know that, but it depends on how much the voltage has to be lowered.

You might be able to get away with a couple of volts, D3 and R15 already make the power supply to the op-amp circuit about 0.7V < than the motor. This may be fine but if the gate voltage on Q2 and Q5 is more than a couple of volts below their sources they will get turned on slightly 1V might be acceptable but 3V might cause a significant current to flow and if Q4 or Q6 is turned on ther would be a short circuit.

Anyway it’s a stupid point to discuss since mb9 was going to use it for 24Volts so I don’t know why I even mentioned it! Back to square one, I still say this circuit works!

I don't know Ante I think 24V might put a strain on the gates of the MOSFETs, their maximum gate to source voltage is only 20V.

http://www.ozitronics.com/data/irfz44n.pdf
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf4905.pdf

Referring to the specs:

“The kit and motor use the same power supply. Since the maximum operating voltage of the LM324 is 32VDC then this is also the maximum voltage available to run the motor”! 

I understand this as; the circuit will work at 24VDC, but if I am wrong about this I have to blame it on my lousy English!

Guest Alun

Referring to the specs:

“The kit and motor use the same power supply. Since the maximum operating voltage of the LM324 is 32VDC then this is also the maximum voltage available to run the motor”! 

I understand this as; the circuit will work at 24VDC, but if I am wrong about this I have to blame it on my lousy English!

Ante, your English is perfect, I think this is an error in the kit.

The problem is not with the LM324 which will be fine all the way up to 32VDC, the problem is that the maximum gate to source voltage the MOSFET can stand is only 20V. Often people oversee this a MOSFET might have a maximum VDSS of 55V but the gates on most MOSFETs is limited to 20V or less, and I can't see anything in this circuit to limit the gate voltage to the MOSFET.

http://www.ozitronics.com/data/irfz44n.pdf

post-0-14279142250826_thumb.png

Hi Alun,

Yes I can see what you mean. I am not used to check commercial circuits down to component level specs (maybe I should). But this will of curse put up a warning sign in big letters for this company! :o

[move]Don’t buy anything here unless it’s checked in detail first! Contact Alun for consultation!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D[/move]

Guest Alun

Zener diodes connected between the gates an sources will solve this problem, I recommend 18V zeners.

A small driver circuit for Q3 and Q5 would also allow you to power the motor from a higher supply voltage but to use 100V you'd need higher voltage MOSFETs.

If you're interested I'll modify this circuit when I get round to it.